• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V-8

90KrawlerXJ

NAXJA Member #1067
I've discovered a great new software (Dyno-Sim) for engine building. Has anyone out there foregone the 4.0 liter in favor of V-8 power? If so; what engine mounts will stand up to 500+LbFt of torque off-idle. Peak Hp on the 383 SBC will be 350 @ around 3500 RPM. Obviously I will need some stout motor mounts.

Suggestion if you are thinking v8 swap:

408 Mopar (based on the 360 Mag motor, take it .030 over and stick a 4.00 stroke crank.) Back it with a 46RH (A518 if you want OD) or 727 and tc of choice. Use the electronics from a 92-93 Ram/Dakota and keep the EFI. Loads of torque on pump gas and very reliable. For more info check out: www.krcperformance.com or click here: KRC Longblock Info scroll about half way down.

Here are the specs on their RV 408
Crankshaft Mopar Performance 4.00" cast
Camshaft Mopar R/T camshaft
Harmonic damper Mopar Performance
Heads 1.92 non ported R/T heads
Manifold M-1 2bbl Manifold
Pistons Ross 8.0 or 12.5 compression forged pistons
Connecting rods Forged Magnum
Timing chain Comp Cams double roller
Roller Rockers Comp Cams 1.6 aluminum
Lifters Mopar Performance
Pushrods Smith Brothers 0.083 heat treated
Oil Pump Melling High Volume
Oil Pan R/T Oil pan with pickup
Valve Covers Mopar Performance Black wrinkle
Head studs ARP

If you wanted even more torque dump the M1 2bbl for the stock intake with aluminum belly pan.

:peace:
Travis

So would it be worth it to find a Ram with a 360 and take the wiring, EFI, etc and swap it into the XJ? Take the tranny and tcase also? This would be pure trail rig, mostly mud, etc. Disreguard fitting, just wondering if you could use the dodge 360?

woody431 said:
So would it be worth it to find a Ram with a 360 and take the wiring, EFI, etc and swap it into the XJ? Take the tranny and tcase also? This would be pure trail rig, mostly mud, etc. Disreguard fitting, just wondering if you could use the dodge 360?

That'a a good choice. Fabrication is another story and cannot help you there. Those 360s are torq monstas...... What year are you thinking? The 5.9 Magnum was stuck on the 360 in 1993 or 94 (I forget) and with that came the multiport EFI and a great set of stock heads. The biggest bottleneck was the stock exhaust and with Headers and the MP computer the 5.9 is a great engine. In an XJ I would wonder if it's overkill. I had the 5.2/518 combo in my 94 Reg Cab shortbed 2wd Dakota with the M1 2bbl, MP computer and MP/Doug Thorley headers and on pump gas I am confident it was 285 HP and 325 ft/lb of torque on premium. With the 3.55 SG out back it was a tire-smokin monster even with the 255/50r17's on back.

Play with a cam on either engine and they really wake up.

If it was me.... find a wrecked 92-95 Dakota/Ram with the 5.2/518/231 tcase and get to work. :rtm:

Let me know if you have any more ?'s

Travis :geek:

not a damn thing. I saw a pic somwhere of a XJ w/ a BBC in it. Looked amazing to me. I wish I could find that damn pic. Oh well im sure www.xjdb.com has it. Alot of people go with overkill though for two reasons. Its fun to show off how much overkill you have. And if you decide to upgrade, whatever you have may not be considered overkill anymore. Just a few thoughts.

90KrawlerXJ said:
I've discovered a great new software (Dyno-Sim) for engine building. Has anyone out there foregone the 4.0 liter in favor of V-8 power? If so; what engine mounts will stand up to 500+LbFt of torque off-idle. Peak Hp on the 383 SBC will be 350 @ around 3500 RPM. Obviously I will need some stout motor mounts.

I run a modified chevy 350 in my XJ on mounts that I got from Advanced Adapters. They are strong as hell and fit the motor in there.

woody431 said:

I'm not sure I would go this route. I looked into it before I did my swap. Actually parts to make this work are harder to find plus the 360 stock is actually less powerful than a chevy and a with a chevy you have and endless line of aftermarket add ons to get more juice. I would recommend sticking to a chevy with an aftermarket EFI (holley or edlebrock) that you can tune to fit your application. Just my .02 as I have been through the whole process.

Last edited:
Yeah, i just threw out the dodge, just because of same brand, keeping it loyal, ya know? I threw around a 401, but read on some FSJ pages that they kinda had some problems with oiling and what not and that's a monster motor and I decided to pass it up.

Back