• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some trans help fast~!! Please

midnightrunxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been working on my 84 2.5 auto and I have been having problems. I couldnt figure out the linkage and my cooling output line was stripped. Well today i tapped out the hole and fixed the thread problem. Hooked everything back up filled with fluid and started. All was fine in neutral. when i put it into drive trans fluid started pouring out from where the flex plate is. What could be wrong. Keep in mind i drove this the other day with the cooling line leaking but it still drove. I hope this used trans i got isnt bad. If it is bad is there any way i can install a aw4 in its place? I got to have this out of my parents garage running by sunday afternoon. Please help me!

If your old tranny did a meltdown, unhook the tranny cooler lines and blow through there. Might want to push some air through the tranny cooler lines anyway, backwords to the flow.
Take a piece of coathanger and make a pointer to the back edge of the teeth on the flex plate, rotate the flex plate and check for (excessive) warpage (they are rarley perfect). Make sure the torque coverter bolts didn´t come loose, just about have to Loc Tite them in there. Same with the flex plate bolts. I avoid, removing the torque converter, have heard of many people, messing up the front seal.
Set up your kick down linkage, by the book.
Did you use your old torque converter or the torque converter from the donor?

Don´t really know the why of the whole thing, but had a 727, pretty much the same tranny as yours I´d guess (907/999?), do the same thing. Checked the front seal, seemed OK, replaced the torque converter with a spare I had and it ran almost another year with no problems. Replaced the converter again, ran it for almost another year, before it started leaking through the front seal again. Never did figure out exactly what the problem was. Might want to have a look at the inner front seal also, not just the outer seal.

as a mechanic many people want to just change the front seal when there is a leak. but most of the front seals leak because the bushing in the pump that the converter rides in is almost always bad and that causes the converter to not spin true and leak tranny fluid. you should always change that bushing when changing the seal. you also might have blown the front seal out due to a pressure problem.

well I dropped all that garbage back out again. The front seal looks good but im going to replace it anyways. I unbolted that plate that the seal mounts to but i couldnt get it off. Im assuming that the bushing and inner seal are in there. How do i get this off? thanks for the replys. oh yea and it dosent just leak out, it pours out waterfall style.

Well i figured out my problem. When I tapped the hole I had to use a different fitting. Well I thought that the fluid came straight out into the line. Well it dosent it come from below at a angle. I guess i tapped it a little to far back. So when i put the fitting it I blocked the line completly causing pressure which pressed fluid out of the front seal. Its fixed now. But I still cant figure out this @#@# linkage. There is no picture in my manual. I dont know if i have the wrong linkage or if I am missing some part because i got this jeep with the trans removed. So someone Please send me a pic of the linkage!!! Thanks

My first thought was a plugged cooler line. What tranny do you have? Really can´t remember that far back. The three speed auto NP 904, the one with the linkage or with the cable?
If it´s the one withe linkage, your gonna need a book (the library?), the shifting linkage is involved enough, but a wrong setting on the kick down/TV linkage will slowly destroy your tranny.
I´ve been looking around the net with no good results yet, might have to check the library. In a pinch you can probably get a good idea, of how it all goes together from a Chrysler manual.

Yea I feel like a ass cause i cant figure it out. And i cant find pictures any where. I cant even find any 2.5's out in parking lots either. Im becoming ****ed. p.s. its the rod linkage type. Thanks again

Let's try again ... what tranny do you have? Is it the correct tranny from an '84 XJ or did it come from another year XJ, or did it come from another vehicle entirely, like maybe a Wrangler?

Also, where dod you get the linkage? Is it the original, correct linkage for the '84, or did it come with the tranny, or did you get it from a junkyard?

Back