• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rhino lining interior

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
just gutted out carpet in my jeep except for in the very back..... flooded the jeep with mud water last weekend and decided it was time to part out with it. i will be covering the floor with something but havent decided yet.
I have a couple questions. i am looking to do this as cheaply as possible so what is the best wrote, should i buy a gallon of herculiner and give it a go, or is there something else i can use, i am assuming i will one cover it with one coat since it is not gonna be getting filled like a truck with stuff to scratch it and peel it all the time.
basically i just need some good suggestions on this
thank!
eric

I just bought a do-it-yourself kit at the local Advance Auto Parts store for $62. It is made by Bondo. I have heard from one person that they were pleased with the outcome. I planned on using it for front and rear reciever as well as rock sliders and rear bumper.

Rhino is not cheap, but you will never hurt it inside the Jeep. Use a heat shield over your cat and muffler...the floor will get real hot otherwise.

Rev

I am really interested in doing this in mine...the carpet on the passenger front floor board stays moist most of the time....my concern was w/dding, I have heard some say that it will be noisey, and either cold or hot depending....any info to those will be great...thanks :dunce:

Make sure to sand or wire brush the floor first or it will not stick well. I used a wire wheel for about 30 minutes amde sure all paint was ruff and all rust was gone. Then wipe down with acetone or what ever.
I used herculiner two coats and no problems, keeps the sheetmetal from scalding you right away too.

herculiner goes on REAL thin. I used it on some side steps for my truck, most of it came out ok, but one part tore and you can see it's real thin. I used 2 coats too. It's best to do it when it's warm outside. And once you open the can and mix it you better be fast, it dries in the can FAST!

heat shield under the floor, with an air gap if you're using a homemade job, or insulated between shield and floorboard. whatever you do don't just tack weld some sheetmetal as a heat shield, you'll be negating the effects. you'll also want to increase heat shielding in the engine bay near the gas pedal. My stock rubber floor warped from head pipe heat. Perhaps you could use exaust insulating wrap in these trouble spots, but if you do, bear in mind that the heat has to go somewhere, and the pipe will be hotter than normal downstream. I vote Rhino over the others, I have seen the cheap stuff peel, or turn colors they werent intended to. Case in point I now have a green CJ5 with a powdery purple interior.

I used a brand called Duraback in the hatch area of my XJ. I was very impressed with how easy it went on and how good it turned out. More rubber in it than some of the no-name brands I have seen.

I used Durabak in the back of mine.

Rhino and Durabak are totally different....apples to oranges.

Go Rhino, do it once.

Rev

PS - Heat shield between floor and exhaust, NOTHING between Rhino and floor.

the newer XJs have an aluminum heatshield above the exhaust.. my 99 has it, the 87 does not.. not sure what year it appeared but it would be a good mod to just find a stock one on a newer rig and use it, rather than try to fabricate something....

Herculiner is good. I'd reccomend at least 2 coats, you'll have plenty with a gallon, I did 3 and had a bit left. the preparation is everything, I sanded the whole thing and then cleaned it with laquer thinner several times. The stuff is great! :05of5:

I popped the drain plugs out before I did it, makes for easy cleaning. You can get removable plugs to fit but I just throw the floormats over the holes.

Definately a good idea, just don't get the stuff on you it takes weeks to wear off........

Don't bother putting any on rockrails, I put 6 coats of the spray on stuff on mine and its been getting scraped off, I been out wheeling with the guys from the local 4X4 shop lately and have nothing but rusty metal on the bottom of my rails now. Just paint the rails with a spray can, so you can easily touch it up. Mine look like crap now, and I am going to have to remove them to take off all the stupid bedliner, I think this time I am just going to shoot them THICK with an airless house sprayer filled with black rustoleum

I’ve had good luck with Dupli-Color truck bed liner. The stuff has held up well on my front and rear bumpers. A friend has lined two different Wrangle interiors with it and no problems yet. You can pick it at a Wal-Mart pretty cheap - $7 for a spray can or $50 for a gal (AK prices).

Rev Den said:
If it will allow air spaces it will allow moisture and rust. I was refering more to the Dynamat type product or any kind of insulation. Rev
thanks. i tried the sound dampening paint, and it seems to have worked well, but always looking out for the bad reports on things....

So if I were to rhino my interior..i'd take out everything, carpet, etc, sand, scrub, scratch up the floor to allow it to stick, get sound dampening paint(??), but NO dynamat? What would you recommend for a heat shield? I have no cat, so just one between the muffler and behind the headpipe? I want this thing to be quiet on the inside, but get rid of my carpet..I know it might be a tossup , but is this the way to do it?

EDIT: Which grade of silent running is best to use?

Last edited:
Back