• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC clutch wire

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been in the process of doing an electric fan conversion (squeezing in a 12 incher) and Im almost finished. Im using a wiring kit that has a set thermostat switch and a relay that is hooked to the acc. power so it only runs when the car does and the engine is up to running temp. The only other time it is supposed to run is when the AC is on, much like the stock aux. fan.
There is a green wire leading from the relay that is supposed to hook up to the "AC clutch power wire" to trigger the fan. The only wires I can find are on the side of the AC compressor. 1 semi-fat wire leading into the clutch, and 1 skinny wire bolted into the compressor with a clip to keep the fatter wire in place. I tied the green relay wire into the smaller wire's bolt, but the fan still wont turn on just because the AC is on. Only when the engine is up to temp.
Is this the right wire to tap into, or is the clutch wire somewhere else? Thanks.

I guess I kinda answered this myself? The fat one is the one I need to actually splice into, the little one is the compressor ground?
Ive been up all night so bear with me.

Ok, screw that last thought. I unhooked the connector harness from the AC compressor expecting to see at least 2 male/female +/- prongs or spades or something. There is only a single pin. The pin connects in a harness which leads into wire loom.
I cut off the wire loom and found that the single wire from the harness splits in two. One being the fatter leading into the clutch, and the other bolted into the compressor body, with a clip to hold the fatter one in place.
What am I supposed to look for. This is getting kind of confusing.

anyone?

Back