• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spool and 28 spline axles

EricT

NAXJA Forum User
good idea for moab or not? these are in a 9" that I acquired and am not going to spend the money to buy a new 3rd member for bigger axles

I just installed a 9" under mine with 28splines and a spool and its fine. I wouldnt think you would have any problems with it there. In fact I got this from a buddy running 38's under his YJ with a very nice 5.0 mustang engine. As far as changing anything, if you have the big bearing you should only need to change out the spool when you add the 31 spline axles. Oh by the way my XJ did great with EZ Lockers and 35's at Moab so enjoy...........peace

What's the point in upgrading to a 9" rear to gain 1 spine? Useless in my opinion. The weakest point in the D35 is the 27 spline axles. You only gain very minimal strength with a 28 spline upgrade. Like mentioned, you'd only need to buy a 31 or 35 spline spool to upgrade axles anyway. The third member is the same. If you still have the axle on the bench, make sure you have big bearing ends (bearing OD will be 3.150). If you don't have big bearings, upgrade now. Cost is about $75 plus installation, call around, I've found it to be close to $100. Well worth it! This is one area not to skimp.

If the axle has small bearings, 28 spline axles and is already installed, drive it like it is and buy another 9" housing and build it the right way. I'd say the 28 spline 9" is only good for 32s depending on your wheeling style. Why waist money on a 28 spline spool, then have to spend $ on a 31 or 35 spline spool when you get tired of breaking 28 spline axles?

Everyone is different. I know guys who could break a D35 axle with 31s, and others who wheel with 35s with good luck, but I have to say, that's all it is, luck. I like to wheel with confidence that my junk isn't going to break.

JMHO,
Steve

*edit* Just saw that this post is a month old, sorry...

Back