• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange stalling

KingA

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've gone about as far as I can go and I'm needing your help. I've got an 87 XJ with a 5 speed and it began stalling out on me a couple weeks ago. I'll just be going down the road (city or highway) and it would die without any warning at all. Then I'd have a horrible time getting it started again. I replaced the MAP, TPS, and CPS, and this didn't help at all.

I finally broke down and took it to the dealership. They said my index was off on the distributor and adjusted it. Well, it stoped stalling, but began cutting out (like a hiccup) pretty frequently. Took it back to them and the guy spent 8 hours (at least, that's what he charged me) on it, finally just cleaned up the distributor connector to the harness. That did the trick for about a week, but now it's back to cutting out and stalling agian. Only this time, I get a nasty backfire when it stalls.

The engine is a long block I had installed a year ago and runs great otherwise. It doesn't do it at idol. I do think its electrical, but have run out of ideas. Could a vaccum problem be causing this though? I don't think it's the fuel pump either - i have no problems starting it or keeping pressure. It doesn't seem to matter what RPM or speed I'm at. It's just a random thing.

I'm getting a bit annoyed and desperate to get my baby running right again. Do you guys have any ideas?

Check your grounds, especially the one from the back of the block to the firewall.

Is your cat rusted out? I've heard that pieces of cat can clog up the exhaust and cause stalls, misses, and backfires. Just a thought.

My '97 had the same problem, but after a few months of me fooling around with it the problem went away. Never figured out what or why it was missing.

Back