• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much would you charge?

90 xj

NAXJA Forum User
Last night i was changing my oil and some kid in a cherokee pulled up and asked me if i would put a lift kit on his jeep. i told him that i would since i have done this afew times. He asked me how much i would charge him and i told him i would get back to him. What would you guys charge to do something like this? I will be putting on a RE 3.5 Super Flex kit
jake

Hard to judge... all the installs I have helped with has been under the guise of a NAXJA install party, so there was no money exchange. You should probably inspect the Jeep before establishing a charge, so you can get an idea of how much rust you will have to deal with, etc. It might be a good idea to check what his lift package contains to make sure you won't have to wait for extra parts with his vehicle at your home. And, make sure he understands he may get some side effects from lifting, so that there are no surprises.

Lawn Cher' said:
Hard to judge... all the installs I have helped with has been under the guise of a NAXJA install party, so there was no money exchange. You should probably inspect the Jeep before establishing a charge, so you can get an idea of how much rust you will have to deal with, etc. It might be a good idea to check what his lift package contains to make sure you won't have to wait for extra parts with his vehicle at your home. And, make sure he understands he may get some side effects from lifting, so that there are no surprises.

This sounds the most plausible idea. What if his leaf spring bolts are so rusted you have to use alternative methods ?? Kid might get squemish at this point.

You should do some more investigating on his rig before making that commitment.

Not sure what you mean by 'kid', but if he's young enough not to be the actual owner of said Jeep you might be caught in an awkward situation. If the folks own it there's a chance he's wanting to do it without permission. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
Not sure what you mean by 'kid', but if he's young enough not to be the actual owner of said Jeep you might be caught in an awkward situation. If the folks own it there's a chance he's wanting to do it without permission. ;)

Another excellent point. Remember to CYA.

ECKSJAY said:

kids back door there parental units ???? oh man...now I gotta prepare for that...like i dont have enough to do already. ;)

Speaking of CYA...you may want to check to make sure he cant have any leagal recourse against you if something goes wrong. Maybe you forget to tighten a trackbar bolt, or something along those lines. If you charge him he be able to sue you if sh!t goes bad. I'd atleast make him sign some sort of waiver to absolve yourlself of anything ahead of time.

Just some stuff to think about.

-Scott

I wouldn't charge him. Have him help and then he will learn to do this. This way he learns and you didn't accecpt money to do it so your not really responsible. But do make sure his parents consent if thats the case.

I would be very careful about this, adding a mod to a suspension, liability wise, could be a nightmare, how old is the kid? is the car his?are they looking for help with installing it or just want you to do the work,? If something went wrong with the rig and they wreck it due to a suspension component, there could be a big problem, if someone gets hurt it could get very ugly. If the kid is a minor, I wouldn't do it no matter what, older and I would help them do the work, and teach them what I could,and not be looking for money at all....

sintax said:
Speaking of CYA...you may want to check to make sure he cant have any leagal recourse against you if something goes wrong. Maybe you forget to tighten a trackbar bolt, or something along those lines. If you charge him he be able to sue you if sh!t goes bad. I'd atleast make him sign some sort of waiver to absolve yourlself of anything ahead of time.

Just some stuff to think about.

-Scott
Yeah, my immediate thought was that I wouldn't touch it. Not for a complete stranger. It's one thing within the parameters of a club-organized install party where you "help" other people do their install. They remain responsible and liable for consequences.

Once you do it on your own, for a stranger, and take money in compensation, you may be opening a real can of worms.

do not accept money for it.... first off, decide if you like the kid and see some potential worth teaching.. if you like him invite him over to help you with a few things.. let him see what its all about.. if you actually have a big project recruit him.. he may not be much more help than a tool runner but he will see how things go once you tear into something, including the "unexpected" and if you don't mind having him around after a few wrench days invite him to do the lift at your place and you "help" him... letting a kid hang around isnt all bad.. just watch your tools until you get to know him..

sidriptide said:
do not accept money for it.... first off, decide if you like the kid and see some potential worth teaching.. if you like him invite him over to help you with a few things.. let him see what its all about.. if you actually have a big project recruit him.. he may not be much more help than a tool runner but he will see how things go once you tear into something, including the "unexpected" and if you don't mind having him around after a few wrench days invite him to do the lift at your place and you "help" him... letting a kid hang around isnt all bad.. just watch your tools until you get to know him..
Very good suggestion. As others said: once you accept money you're potentially liable for things going bad. Also with older XJ's remember that bolts break, nuts rust over and so on. Anyways, if he's a "worthy" investment, help him out (but I'd say that his install should happen in his place cause if something breaks.... well you're not going to be stuck with him :D)

The two of you could join NAXJA and then we could organize a STL area install party!

Lawn Cher' said:
The two of you could join NAXJA and then we could organize a STL area install party!

YEAH. LC volunteer to do the Friday Night to Saturday Night shift ;) I hear you work like a golem during that time...

i did not ask him much about his jeep but i seen it from a distance, it is the newer body style. he is 16 and i think he lives around the block from me, i thought about asking him to help me but i dont think he knows anything at all.I also know that his mom and dad bought his jeep and the lift and the tires. I asked my boss the same thing and he told me to get him to sighn something for sure. As far as not tighting any thing(i know that s#$% happens) i would triple check everything before i let him drive it. so i guess i wont charge him but make him buy jack in the box when we are hungry.
Jake

90 xj said:
i did not ask him much about his jeep but i seen it from a distance, it is the newer body style. he is 16 and i think he lives around the block from me, i thought about asking him to help me but i dont think he knows anything at all.I also know that his mom and dad bought his jeep and the lift and the tires. I asked my boss the same thing and he told me to get him to sighn something for sure. As far as not tighting any thing(i know that s#$% happens) i would triple check everything before i let him drive it. so i guess i wont charge him but make him buy jack in the box when we are hungry.
Jake
In most states, 16 is not old enough to sign away any rights or protections. This is why NAXJA membership is limited to people over 18. If he's a minor, get BOTH of his parents to sign a waiver. If they aren't willing to absolve you of responsibility for helping Junior do something that Daddy should be helping him with, that's a red flag and you don't want any part of it.

Back