• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got my Bumper Done!

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
i finaly got my bumper done, id been working on it in my welding class since school started. i got a peice of metal in my eye last night when i was grinding the welds that held my stock bumper bracket to my factory tow hook brackets (since i was reuseing the tow hook brackets) with a die grinder and had to miss the first 4 hours of school this morning at the doctor which got the metal out, and the sent me to another doctor which had to grind the rust ring out of my eye with a small dremel like tool :what irony: so in the rust that i was in to get my bumper on the jeep before this weekend (read: im a trail leader this weekend and in a frantic state trying to get this done) so i ignore everything about avoiding bright lights for 48 hours and to wear a patch for the rest of the day. and go pick up my bumper from the school, along with a extra 6ft peice of tube, and go finish the day at school. then go directly home and start welding and grinding and drilling and cutting. then to a friends house to bend the spare peice of tube into a stinger and back home to weld it on. test fit it, WOW it accualy might work, and then paint and let dry. and put it on. if i can tear this bumper up then im doing something wrong. the aproach angle will be alot beter soon as i relocate the tow hooks from the factory brackets to the winchplate on the bumper. and i should be able to bump ledges and slide up them with the bumper now very easily. i still need to relocate the tow hooks, add two more braces up to the stinger, and weld endcaps on the main cross tube, but besides that its pretty well done. sorry i made u read all this and no pics but im a tease, ill get some up tommarow when my mom brings her digi camera home from work. it looks quite a bit like the rustys stinger bumper, only stinger is a little wider, not quite as tall, and a little bigger radius bend on the stinger.

kolby

BrettM said:
nice novel, let me know when you come up with cliff-notes and pictures

werd.gif
:laugh2:

cliff notes,

-my eye would feel beter if i cut it out with a muddy fork
-got bumper almost done and on jeep
- wont have pics till tommarow
-i was bored and felt like typing
-im a bigger tease than a 7th grade cheerleader

kolby

Last edited:
lankchevy said:
cliff notes,
-im a bigger tease than a 7th grade cheerleader

kolby
Aww..... that's just....aww.

The actual "shock and aw" affect.... at least put an age wear there is grass on the field

okay got ahold of a digi cam today soo here are some pics for your veiwing pleasure, and all constructive critizism is welcomed.(keep in mind im a dumb 17 year old that besides my rocker guards this was my first big fab project and i didnt everything by myself on it)

heres the best pic of it http://community.webshots.com/photo/200490789/200492772hQuPLB

and the album
http://community.webshots.com/album/200490789EGlKQe

and my other albums for those interested
http://community.webshots.com/user/lankchevy

let me know what ya think, and yes i know its not perfect

kolby

lol i figured someone would say it, but in a month or two its going up another few inches, dana44 and dana53 with 5.38s, dana300, and a full internal cage with a chopped top after that, i like the way it looks and its my jeep ill build it how i want it. thanks for the compliment tho.

kolby

wow, looks cool, probably the only stinger type bumper that i have ever liked.

the weight of an entire XJ on a 6" diamiter log? that when it snaps will crush the front end on a tree stump...:conceited

its not ALL the weight, but those poles are pretty stong, havent broke one yet lol and its not realy a stump, just a peice of a HUGE limb that fell in my yard this spring so it will fall out of the way, trust me.

kolby

Last edited:
lankchevy said:
its not ALL the weight, but those poles are pretty stong, havent broke one yet lol and its not realy a stump, just a peice of a HUGE limb that fell in my yard this spring so it will fall out of the way, trust me.

kolby
like you said above, its your rig!

Kinda Funny, I got a piece of metal in my eye the other day while trimming fenders, I now highly recommend wearing some sort of Eye protection.....

Eye protection is a must. I've found out the hard way more than once also, usually just crud falling in my eye,oil or pb blaster... Heal up quick!

Anyways nice job man. I wish I would have used my shop classes when I had access to decent fab tools to build myself a bumper. Stingers look bad azz but I think I'd go with a prerunner style personally. Oh well, ye ol Lincoln stick will have to do. :)

what sucked about my eye was i had on goggles the hole time i was cuting the tow hook brackets from the bumper brackets and then i ground off all the exess weld from the tow hook bracket and thought i was done so i took em off, then did something else and walked back to the grindingtable in my shop and pick the brackets up, to see i missed a little peice of weld so i grab the grinder and hit it real quick and thats when it happened. so i found out the hard way ALWAYS WEAR THEM NO MATTER HOW SMALL THE JOB and thanks for the compliments everyone.

kolby

by the way, stingers are to help save ur radiator and front clip in a roll, but to be honest i like the way they look and i hope i never have to use mine. and they can help keep u from going over if u are going down something VERY steep.

Holy man hours!

It took you half a semester to do that?

It's a great first shot at fabbing and turned out great, but stop taking so many smoke breaks with your buds and get something done in there.

Back