• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

From manual to automatic

XJOFFROAD

NAXJA Forum User
i did a search and that didnt help me out that much. a buddy of mine has a 91 xj with 5 speed manual. i have a 89 xj parts jeep that has an automatic. i have not gotten under either one to see what kindof tranny they both have. he wants to convert the 91 xj to a automatic. can we do this with the automatic from my parts jeep and put it into his 91 xj ?? also how big is the job, can it be done in a weekend?

the best one to answer that would be the guy who just did the opposite... Ketjar... he went from auto to manual... (scratching head)
XJOFFROAD said:
i did a search and that didnt help me out that much. a buddy of mine has a 91 xj with 5 speed manual. i have a 89 xj parts jeep that has an automatic. i have not gotten under either one to see what kindof tranny they both have. he wants to convert the 91 xj to a automatic. can we do this with the automatic from my parts jeep and put it into his 91 xj ?? also how big is the job, can it be done in a weekend?

Something that comes to my mind is that I seem to recall something about spline counts being different in the earlier models. Another thing is that you'll have to look at your wiring harnesses and see how they tie into the aw4 controller and the main harness and the aw4 and the pcm (you'll have to move some wires around). Anyways I'll post more sometime tomorrow (although mine is slightly different as I'm dealing with the 97+ vehicles). Oh...try to search the forum again (modtech) you'll find more info on that as I kept coming up with the manual to auto swap info (don't have it saved but there was rather detailed thread on that topic).

Check in with old_man; he did this on his rollable XJ after adding a stroker in place of the original 4-cyl

Mating the early trans to the later engine shouldn't be a problem at all...

Where the snag lies is mating the transfer cases. Early 231s and 242s had 21 spline input shaft where the later ones had 23 splines: All peugot 5 spds had 21, All AX15s had 23...the AW4s were "mixed" IIRC 89 or 90 was the year(s) of changeover.

If you use the case that came with the donor automatic, you should be fine.

Input gears are interchangable and available in the aftermarket.

im was thinking about attempting the same project, I have a 96,W/5speed and wanted to swap in an older renix era auto and 231. Has your buddy done anything new with this or was it dropped? Any info would be helpful because searches arent returning anything really useful.

I have a 99 with an AX15 and I too want to convert to the AW4....What all do I need to convert and is there anything computer wise that wouldnt match up??? Thanks

Mike

XbajajeepX said:
I have a 99 with an AX15 and I too want to convert to the AW4....What all do I need to convert and is there anything computer wise that wouldnt match up??? Thanks

Mike
lots... it's been coverd many, many times so a search will definitely give you all the info you need

I have been searching and have only found a few threads..The ones I did find were on earlier models also...

XbajajeepX said:
I have been searching and have only found a few threads..The ones I did find were on earlier models also...
1. new PCM
2. TCU
3. Some wires
4. Brake pedal assembly
5. console insert for the shifter and the shifter
6. the transmission of course

That I think is more or less the summary of parts needed.

Back