• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

License plate bracket

Scope out junkyards for 84 thru 87 XJs and MJs. The early brackets were steel.

jeepguy97 said:
Just curious as to why you would need a stronger one?

They are flimsey plastic and they droop even if they're not broken yet. I cured mine by cutting metal plates and sandwiching the plastic mounting tabs between them.

JoBo

Industrial strength velcro. Really. It works great. Add a 2" or so pad on either side at the top and squish it back to the bumper.

That will hold until you get a aftermarket bumper with a front receiver hitch. Then you can get a bracket that goes in the hitch, like mine.

what are the laws for your state in regards having to have one? Cause in CA we need 2 if we had 2. WEll since I bought my jeep used and it came with no front bumper, that means that I only had 1 so I have 1 :D That allowed me not to worry about banking, bending or damaging the damn plate (had the front one on the 98)

Kejtar said:
what are the laws for your state in regards having to have one? Cause in CA we need 2 if we had 2. WEll since I bought my jeep used and it came with no front bumper, that means that I only had 1 so I have 1 :D That allowed me not to worry about banking, bending or damaging the damn plate (had the front one on the 98)

So what happens come inspection time ?? NJ and other states can be real anal about missing a front plate. Never understood the front plate myself unless the purpose of the front plate is so the person you run over can get your number as the plate passes over their face... In Pa we only have one in the rear...

RichP said:
So what happens come inspection time ?? NJ and other states can be real anal about missing a front plate. Never understood the front plate myself unless the purpose of the front plate is so the person you run over can get your number as the plate passes over their face... In Pa we only have one in the rear...
That's why I asked about laws in his state.

Our state just requires the rear one, but I have a pretty nice one from the college I went to, and wanted something a little better than the factory bracket to hang it from. I'm making one out of .075" thick aluminum sheet at work.

nosajwp said:
Just got my bracket done...made out of .0875" thick 6061-T6 aluminum sheet. Much stiffer and stronger than stock!
Got a pic?

while reading this all I can think of is JU, LOL 'whats a good license plate bracket', 'will a turbo thingy in my throttle body really get me a 100% milage increase and an extra 50hp', 'do I really need to replace the summer air in my tires with winter air every november and then reverse it in june'.....
Go buy a bracket in the parts store and use a 'jeep' surround beauty ring, eithe way the weak portion will be the bumper where it is screwed in.... sorry, I just think it's funny, in one of my moods...
Glad I live in Pa where all I have to worry about is rain and flooding..

Kejtar said:

You will have a nice suprise when the police pull you over for no apprent reason. Thanks to you not having a front plate they will take the oppertunity to look over your rig and fine you for cracked winsheild no mud flaps headlights too high from ground loud exhaust etc etc. The fines will add up in no time. I sugguest you go to you dmv and get a set of new plates. Its cheaper then a large fine.

Matt

Back