• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to AMC V8

OlyWaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know it can be done but has anybody?
Sure they will bolt togather,but that is only getting you half way there.I was looking at a AW4 today in the local PnP and wondering if the stock starter would engage the V8 flexplate.The 4.0 starter's bendix looks like it has a much shorter throw than a AMC starter.
Also flexplates what one would you use? It could'nt be as easy as using the AMC/Chev or the AMC/Cryco.
I'm looking at the possability of doing 2 of these over the winter.
Guess I might just go down and get a trans and start boltin it togather.
OlyWa

I did something similar yet different.. had a 401 in front of a 727 and could not get the correct flexplate spacing after poring through the Carquest catalog for quite some time. I cut the ring gear loose from the flexplate and moved it over, rewelded. Everything worked with the stock V-8 starter.

Well, come to find out- the 4.0 starter would have bolted right up and fixed that problem. So in a nutshell, as far as I can determine, you will end up with a flexplate ring gear depth that will work with either a V-8 starter or a 4.0 starter and they both bolt up the same and take about the same amount of room.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Jacobs,
Weird that you could'nt find a flexplate for that.I would think a 70's matador with 401 should have done it.I guess with the V8 starter being long and the 4.0 being short I'm covered.

I currently have a 401/727 in the cherokee(not much cherokee left),but want to go with the AW4 so I have OD and can lock the converter.

OlyWa

OlyWaXJ said:
Yes it will.

OlyWa

FYI the AW4 is only rated for 340lb/ft tq.

If your V8 is pushing the limits of that, I'd seek a tranny swap.

My 4.6L stroker is close to 330lb/ft tq, and the AW4 handles it great.

No offense guys but I bet that aw-4 can take a lot more than is rated. If not just call up level ten (I believe) and build it up some. Check out the thread posted not too long ago about the aw-4s durability. You might be suprised.-------Kyle

the Toyota variation of the AW4 stands up fine to Supras running 800+ hp, it'll be fine behind an AMC v8 unless you have that thing majorly beefed. run a good cooler. XJ Jack, what size tires and what diff gears do you have, and do you have a tranny cooler? there's no reason your 4.0 should overheat the AW4

33 and 4.56, a cooler will be going in soon, what seems to hapen for some reson mine burps out the front. There has been some kind of a service bulitin on this and I had it redone and they drilled out some drain back hole and I thought I was done with it, but it has done it again when I towed up a long grade.

XJJack said:
33 and 4.56, a cooler will be going in soon, what seems to hapen for some reson mine burps out the front. There has been some kind of a service bulitin on this and I had it redone and they drilled out some drain back hole and I thought I was done with it, but it has done it again when I towed up a long grade.
You're not supposed to be towing without an external cooler. That's part of the tow package and is listed as necessary for towing. It does make a difference.

Well it should be on this weekend. just need to figure out mounting, I don't want to put it in front of the rad and heat that up, so I will be looking under and behind my bumper (need to get it back from the shop first all new header to tail pipe).

Back