• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Power Steering Pump is Noisy

Pioneer89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a 98 XJ this summer and the the PO had replaced the water pump, ac compressor, and the power steering pump. The power steering pump is much louder that my old 89's pump was. Is this normal? The steering is a little harder to turn at a stop than my 89's was too. It really doesn't seem like a problem just wondering mostly. Thanks for any suggestions.

Yes, the 89's was overboosted, so the 98's will be harder to turn. As for power steering noise, all Jeeps do make a little, but excessive noise may mean you have a cheap aftermarket pump that isn't very good. I don't think it will break, but you just have to deal with the noise. I have a NAPA on mine and it makes noise, but works well.

Jackhill442 said:
Yes, the 89's was overboosted, so the 98's will be harder to turn. As for power steering noise, all Jeeps do make a little, but excessive noise may mean you have a cheap aftermarket pump that isn't very good. I don't think it will break, but you just have to deal with the noise. I have a NAPA on mine and it makes noise, but works well.

Thanks Jack. I was thinking that the part was probably a cheapier rebuilt unit. No leaks and it works so I'll leave it alone.

Didn't know that the older XJs were over boosted. I actually like the feel of the newer XJ better. Much better road feel IMO. Thanks.

Back