• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

got rustys 3" in....

fordtech

NAXJA Forum User
I just posted this on another thread but figured it would be good as its own too.

just did a rustys 3" with full leafs. I got it used brand new. I was originally looking at the add-a-leaf kit.

I got way too much from the rear leafs, around 5", pulled the bottom leaf and Im sitting at about 4". The fronts gave me 3.25. I was kinda bummed, but I did get what I asked for! Its just that most lifts give more than advertised, like the rear end on this one! Im adding a 1 inch spacer to the front to bring it perfectly level. Im going to watch the for sale ads for LCA's and a track bar. The toe isnt too bad, I measured, Ill have it aligned when the spacers are in. I dropped the case about .75" with some aluminum square stock I had. It has very little vibes. Im going to use some 1x1 steel stock to drop it alittle more. The angles are good but the u-joints are near their max working limit. The ride is good, almost too soft! All in all Im pretty happy with it. Now I just need some 31's...

Scott Williams said:
Had the same issues with my Rusty's FSP 3" lift...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33050

Scott,
i must have read your posts 100 times!! I just couldnt pass up this kit for 350 shipped! new in box!
I also pulled the bottom leaf the day after the install. I may put it back in after the packs break in and sag some, if they ever do!! I stood on that bottom leaf and my 200lb didnt compress it! That thing is like a stubby add-a-leaf!
I really wish the coils started out alittle higher though.

i hear ya, i haven't drove my jeep since i put my rustys 3 packs in my rear, my driveshaft is so binded up that i can't. i got 5-6" from the leaf packs.

Well, at least I hope that my experience helped you out... it was a pain. I guess all said and done, it's better to be too high, than too low. However, I would much rather have gotten the advertised 3"...
I do admit that Rusty's kit is one of the more economical ones around, and if you know in advance, you can buy the 3" kit with 1.5" front spacers and have a 4.5" lift for the price of 3"...
Hunna, the first time I drove my XJ post lift, it scared me so bad I stopped in the middle of a 5 lane road... the vibes were HORRIBLE!!!

I put mine together last weekend. Was happy at how high the lift was, 4" front and 5" back, better is more than not enough.

I didnt do the work at home though so i had to do an "emergency" tcase lowering job to get there. So now it sits awaiting parts.

I think I am one of the few people who dont want more than the advertised lift amount. If I buy a 3 inch lift thats what I want 3 inches not 4.5. If I wanted that amount of lift I would have bought that.

Back