• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubber flap/sheet under engine???

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have this? There is one under the engine in my 2001, I assume to keep water and muck from splashing up on the engine. Is this part necessary? It looks kind of flimsy, and I thought about taking it off. Who has taken theirs off, and did you receive any negative effects from this?

Anything that directs even a little water, mud, dirt or road kill away from the alternator, distributor, fan and the belt, has to be benefitial.
Down side, is it isn´t a very mechanic friendly piece (of junk), hard to remove and blocks inspection of the tranny cooler lines and some front end pieces. Not a bad idea to check for rubbing on the tranny cooler lines, power steering pump lines and a few other odds and ends from time to time, the shroud (mud flap, whatever it is) makes this difficult.

Alot of people take it off, but you can expect a much dirtier engine and shorter alternator life...

After the first time I did a water crossing in my '01, the weight of the water on top of the splash shield tore it off of its mounts. Removed it, it's been off for nearly seven months, and I haven't had a problem yet due to its absence.

The engine bay is a bit dirtier, but the components under there are no more or less functional than they were when it was on there. YMMV, but it's probably pretty safe to take it off.

casm said:
After the first time I did a water crossing in my '01, the weight of the water on top of the splash shield tore it off of its mounts. Removed it, it's been off for nearly seven months, and I haven't had a problem yet due to its absence.

The engine bay is a bit dirtier, but the components under there are no more or less functional than they were when it was on there. YMMV, but it's probably pretty safe to take it off.
Hmmm mine has survived for a long time. I did installbig fender washers under the plastic "nail" type bolts. Anyways it held up to water crossings and keeps the engine bay somewhat clean.

My rubber mat didn't survive the removal back when I was doing all the 4wd conversion work and I replaced it with this sheet of scrap galvanized steel:
Jeep on!
--Pete
24084165.jpg

I have had 2 XJs and got rid of that flap straight away on both. I have had no problems with either related to the loss of the flap, aside from my custom air filter clogging up with all the mud it finds (which in south Louisiana, happens to be a lot) and I am sure that eventually my alternator will suffer the consequences,of my propensity for getting dirty, but the only thing the mud has claimed is a transmission cooler line (pinched it between the trailing arm and the engine block) (btw is that a common thing?)thus far.

go for it

Back