• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My luck

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
My rear driveshaft decided it wanted to secede from the union a few days ago, and is now sitting in the back of my XJ, after being towed home. I think the bolts on the U joint were loose, because the joint came off and was absolutely destroyed in the process. I put a new joint in the shaft, and now the problem is, how to remove the mounting bolt that snapped off flush with the yoke leading to the diff. What to do??? I tried drilling the bolt so I could utilize an EasyOut but the bolts are obviously hardened. Any ideas on how to get the one that's in there out?

I used a little hack saw and cut a slot in the end of the bolt (across the yoke face) and took it out with a screw driver. If you have a Dremel, cutting a slot shouldn´t be too much of a problem, unless it snapped off well below the face. An extra notch in the face of the yoke, never seemed to bother anything.
When drilling, a good center punch is a must. HSS (high speed steel) drills work well, use the drill at a slow speed, keeps the bit from heating up and loosing temper and/or the cutting edge, oil often. I always buy my drills in five packs, nothing worse than a dull drill bit.
I´ve taken to Loc Titeing those bolts in there, will probably be harder to remove the next time one snaps.
I also avoid overtightening them, they will only stretch so far, before they snap or become weakened.
A buddy suggested, next time getting bolts, long enough, to stick all the way through and past the rear 1/4" or so.

They make all kinds of little grinding wheels, cut everythng from steel to glass. Keeping it wet/cool is often the key to making any drill or grinding wheel last for awhile.
If you get a good sharp drill and drill slowly or even in little spurts, the bit stays sharp longer. More speed and/or more pressure just burns them up, especially with smaller drill bits.
When I center punched mine, I noticed it was pretty loose in the threads, if yours is rusted in there solid, the notch and the screw driver methode is probably a waste of time. Which ever methode you use, a good bath in penetrating oil of some type is gonna help.

Last edited:
With stuck/broken bolts - heat is your friend. :flame: Watch out for the gas tank, but I would heat the suckers up before trying to turn them.

xjmac2 said:
remember fire extinguisher when you do that!

Naaaa. His name's freewithfire :greensmok

Back