• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It is finally out of the garage!

dirtclod

NAXJA Forum User
After months (yeah, with little kids, my time is limited) the jeep finally emerges from the garage! Actually it has been out for a week and made a successful trip to Moab. Ran Metal Masher on friday and Poison Spider on Saturday. I did "rock chucker" obstacle and tried "widowmaker". Widowmaker is about 8 to 9 feet tall now that the bottom is all dug out. Just couldn't get up it. Did all the other obstacles with no problems (aside from pulling upholstery out of my rear....)

Anyway, stats are as follows:
Front axle: HP D44, full width, 4.88, aussie locker, minor shaving, high steer, custom cover guard, chevy disk brakes, radius arms...
Rear axle: Ford 9" full width, 31 spline, detroit, 4.88, shaved, trussed, drain plug, disk brakes....
E350 master cyl to run the 1/2 ton disk brakes...
Custom sliders and "frame" plating....
swapped battery to drivers side, installed remote oil filter, thottle body spacer...
lots of seals: tcase, rear main, oil pan, etc...
TJ flares from a Sahara.....
More...

It is sitting at about 5 to 6 inches of lift and on 35" MTRs. I still need to tweak it a little, but I am pretty happy.

This is the first set of axles I have ever done. I set up the gears and did all the fab work myself. (damn proud of myself too!)

Pics can be seen HERE

Guess I need to change my signature now..... ;)

All I can say is NICE...

looking at the pics from under hood....
I have a few questions...
you have the airfilter ending just above the exhaust manifold.... not exactly good for cold air... does it cause any power problems? How did you mount battery on the opposite side of the engine compartment?

how hard was it to relocate the Oil flilter? I've been planning on doing that myself... Chrysler wasnt too intelligent on mounting an easily breakable sending unit right beside it... i've broken my fair share of em...

I think that looks great! Nice work on the TJ flares going white - post up how you did the color change and how it's working.

As for the air filter question above - I did a similar thing and can honestly say I felt zero difference. Mine was an under-hood snorkel idea that ran the intake tube to just above the master cylinder - you couldn't notice any difference after I did this.

I think your welds are fine - but I'd be proud to be able to weld at all...LOL

Looks like a well built rig with tough gear, yet still able to tackle daily driving if needed.

Great work man. Enjoy!

So from looking at it you are running chevy flat tops for high steer, and you have extended the radius arms. How much If I may ask? Is your mount for the end of the radius arm just that little bracket that is welded on to the plated unibody? Havy any flex pics? Sorry for all the questions, but the more I get to see peoples radius arm pics with a dana 44 and 9" rear the more I get ideas so I can do mine. I already have the 9" and am just waiting for my friend to put the front 60 in his Bronco so I can get his 44.-------Kyle

Hooligan- no problems with the air filter. Actually been running it that way for over a year and it is much better than the airbox. I do get a whistle at certain thottle positions, but nothing that bothers me much. Battery, you can get a left hand battery tray for a deisel, but I just used the stocker, cut a corner off and drilled new holes through the fender. Used welding lead to extend the cables to the other side. Oil filter, the kit is a Mr. Gasket for a YJ with the 4.0. There is no kit I could find for the XJ. The one I used did not have enough hose and I had to fab a bracket to attach it to the fender. Alot easier to reach, can use the BIG filter and adds about a quart of oil to the system.

ChicksDigWagons- Is that a nice way to dig me on welds? Hey, I learned to weld on this project! Started with a wire mig and advanced to a 220 stick. I got some help from a buddy to do the welding on cast. The paint I used makes the welds look worse in the pics than they are. I was chasing leaks on the rear axle for a while, got tired grinding them back down. So to anyone who wants to tag me on my welding.... if I wanted a booger weld discussion, I would post on Pirate. :flipoff

Sportsguy- Flares were white when I got them, but badly scratched. I splurged on a can of white Fusion paint (ya know, for plastic). Seems to work pretty well.

And yes. This is my DD.

Offroadman- High steer uses parts from a pre77 chevy 44 (small bearing). You need the knuckle, caliper mount and spindle. Rest is ford. Had a local wheeler/machinist grind/drill/tap the knuckles for the big studs and used PSC arms and 1ton TREs. The radius arms are only slightly extended to allow a threaded bung and a boulder bushing to mount it. so only about 5 inches longer than stock. I plated the arms in with 1/2" both sides after seeing a buddy's get bent when he came down on a rock. I wacked mine pretty hard at moab with no effect, so I guess that plating worked.

The front end is 1000% better on the highway, smooth as glass. Driving the mountains is a little swayey with the detroit in the rear. But I don't drive the mountains often.

Last edited:
i hate links to pictures, so ill post your here:

199777239QHUmrl_ph.jpg

199779486vDluDk_ph.jpg

199779770OIQhvN_ph.jpg

199779944aFrVtx_ph.jpg

199780295NuRFkq_ph.jpg

199783527gjVuqx_ph.jpg

199784299wqJduF_ph.jpg

199784524aMITOc_ph.jpg

199784989LSkVcp_ph.jpg

thats most of them, more in link

good times, looks cool. Wish i could find time to swap in the 8.8 rear with 4.56 and detroit... need to stop tempting fate with my d35...

XJ_ranger said:
i hate links to pictures, so ill post your here:

199777239QHUmrl_ph.jpg

199779486vDluDk_ph.jpg

199779770OIQhvN_ph.jpg

199779944aFrVtx_ph.jpg

199780295NuRFkq_ph.jpg

199783527gjVuqx_ph.jpg

199784299wqJduF_ph.jpg

199784524aMITOc_ph.jpg

199784989LSkVcp_ph.jpg

thats most of them, more in link

good times, looks cool. Wish i could find time to swap in the 8.8 rear with 4.56 and detroit... need to stop tempting fate with my d35...

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't use webshots to host images like that. they show up as a bunch of red x's

what the funk? hmm i = lastara

I don't care for links either, but I haven't found a free place to host them and I am too cheap to pay monthly for the few that I post up. :roll: :laugh2: :spin1: :looser:

Last edited:
OK, links aren't working right. If you don't want to surf all Xman's pics to see how my rig performed, try HERE , a condensed version of Xman's photos. All photography credit goes to Xman!

dirtclod said:
Why Revolvers SUCK! :mad: They are coming off the rig. To anyone else thinking of using them..... :nono: !
Yeah... when I saw all those rigs having trouble going up I almost gave up myself. I think the problem was that most people stepped on gas a bit too late and the top ledge held them down.
Anyways, did you get the leaf spack replaced? Did the manufacturer warranty it?

Kejtar said:
Yeah... when I saw all those rigs having trouble going up I almost gave up myself. I think the problem was that most people stepped on gas a bit too late and the top ledge held them down.

Yeah, I only got one shot before I sat on that rock and my axle swung away. :cry: I think if I had followed Rule No. 1 from Remy's School of Driving, I might have made it. Or at least made a really cool cloud of smoke! :D I'll get the revolvers swapped out to boomerangs and give it another shot next time I am there.

Kejtar said:
Anyways, did you get the leaf spack replaced? Did the manufacturer warranty it?

Welllllll, they are old Rusty's leaf packs. They are now nice and soft and I like em. They didn't do anything wrong, so I couldn't in right mind ask for replacements. It was all due to revolvers.

They seem to have straightened out pretty well. Well they were rearched slightly, but not enough to bother me. Truck just sits a tad higher on that side. I am going to keep an eye on them and run them for awhile.

dirtclod said:
Yeah, I only got one shot before I sat on that rock and my axle swung away. :cry: I think if I had followed Rule No. 1 from Remy's School of Driving, I might have made it. Or at least made a really cool cloud of smoke! :D I'll get the revolvers swapped out to boomerangs and give it another shot next time I am there.
hahaha..... Rule No. 1: if you can push the pedal any further that means you aren't pushing hard enough!

Btw, last year I did same exact thing as you did (with the esception of bending the spring). I started more or less where you were at and then when I tried going up it shifted me so I let go. This year, knowing that I can't really go off the side (rocks on each side) I tried shifting back (if you remember I shifted from side to side I think twice) while giving it all I had (plus I was in 2nd instead of 1st). Anyways when I got to the point I was at I was afraid that if I let go I'd fall into that hole belowe and bounce back onto my roof.... so that gave me ample motivation to push it harder. I know that I'll be visiting it again next year :D

Back