• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment ?

orvpark

NAXJA Member # 1374
how much caster can i get by with at 6" and still get rid of these vibes from the front shaft? I realize i need the pinion pointed directly at the t-case to keep my u-joints alive and kill the vibes, but i don't want this thing all over the road considering my wife drives it from time to time.

i've searched and read, thanks

At 6" you'll have some issues... I would try it and see if you like it or not...I've got 6", a bad steering box, and no sway bars and it is very dangerous...For Halloween, I'm dressing up as my XJ, it being so scary to drive on the freeway:)

i've all ready tried it, i had an alignment done at factory specs as a starting point. it steers very well and is just as responsive as it was before. it was vibrating too much to drive at highway speeds. I pulled the front shaft to confirm what i could visibly see (the front driveshaft angle was horrible).

whare to start from here?? about 2-3* seems like it would get my driveshaft and pinion linear. is that too little caster?

It will also depend on what type of suspension your running,at that lift DB's or LA's will help alot!

DorkAlert said:
At 6" you'll have some issues... I would try it and see if you like it or not...I've got 6", a bad steering box, and no sway bars and it is very dangerous...For Halloween, I'm dressing up as my XJ, it being so scary to drive on the freeway:)
I'm running 9 inches...no sway bars and a steering box with 210,000 miles on it. Um yeah scarry but I drive slow.
Unless you are willing to get a set of hubs or cut and rotate the knuckles you are just going to have to live with the vibes. I do it sounds horrable but knowing what it is,I just live with it.

I had my caster at 4, it was good enough for the freeway. I have drop brackets now and better caster angles, I still have vibes on the front drive shaft.

My recomendation is of you don't want to spend the money on a hub conversion is this. I have a deal for you, a FDSEK,(front drive shaft eliminator kit), I'lll let it go cheap, $250 , and that's witha a NAXJA member discount. Oh, it includes FREE SHIPPING!! :D

Back