• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle wrap or some other bad crap-please help

Jackhill442

NAXJA Forum User
I have had this problem for 2 years. When I stop at a light or sign, I will sit for a second, and then when I let off the brake, the car jolts and settles in the rear. I have installed two different lifts in the rear, and the problem went away for about 1 month after each install, and then came back. It drives me nuts. Is this axle wrap? I feel sure it is, and how do I get rid of it? Thanks for the help.

i cant say i've experienced any of that after my 3" lift...if we can get some more specifics i'm sure some of the guys will know what it is....did either of your lifts involve blocks in the rear? Thats the only thing i know for sure would cause it.

This may be way off, but we used to have a lil chevy celebrity that the rear brakes would stick. When you'd let off the brakes, the fronts would release but the rears would hang for a moment. The rear of the car would dive before the rear brakes would release. I know that leaf springs would behave a bit different than the trailing arm suspension of the celeb, but it might be a place to look. Make sure everything is hunky dorey under those rear drums.

Hope this helps a little,
Jared:patriot:

This may be WAY off the mark, but I've driven newer vehicles with "anti-dive" technology. The way it works...well I'm not sure, but it makes the rear "squat" when braking so the front doesn't seem to dive as much. When you let off of the break, the rear rises.

I'm not sure it's your issue...but thought I'd toss in my 2-cents worth.

I get an odd sensation from my rear diff as well (or atleast the rear driveline)
when I go to accelerate from stop, or accelerate from a low speed, it feels and sounds like a hammer hitting an anvil (best way to describe the sound) and there is a jolt that is quite noticable.... I cant figure out what it is.....
sound like your problem... but it seems to be coming from the rear section of the drive shaft to the rear-diff.... not from the T-case as stated above in a post...

I have the same problem. It did it stock, then I added 2" and it went away for a month or so. Came back. Then I added 2more inches and it went away for a month or so again. Came back. Then I added one more inch and it hasn't come back yet...but it's only been a month or so.

My $$ is on the slip yoke binding. It happened on my '99. The Jeep dealer told me to get some fancy grease that GM sells. It worked.
Good luck.

Culinary_Hooligan said:
I get an odd sensation from my rear diff as well (or atleast the rear driveline)
when I go to accelerate from stop, or accelerate from a low speed, it feels and sounds like a hammer hitting an anvil (best way to describe the sound) and there is a jolt that is quite noticable.... I cant figure out what it is.....
sound like your problem... but it seems to be coming from the rear section of the drive shaft to the rear-diff.... not from the T-case as stated above in a post...

that is definitally u-joints, loose pinion yoke, or a sticky slip joint. Dont forget the driveshaft is hollow.... it will transfer sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culinary_Hooligan

fordtech said:
that is definitally u-joints, loose pinion yoke, or a sticky slip joint. Dont forget the driveshaft is hollow.... it will transfer sound.

Actually, it is more than likely the rear U-Joint. Check the angle from the shaft to the diff part of the joint, I am betting it is beating the sh!t out of itself... You should be able to see where it is meeting... Need to put 2 to 4 degree shims in or drop the transfer case...

Sounds like a u-joint to me too....from the sound description it's just about to come apart..

Germfam said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culinary_Hooligan

Actually, it is more than likely the rear U-Joint. Check the angle from the shaft to the diff part of the joint, I am betting it is beating the sh!t out of itself... You should be able to see where it is meeting... Need to put 2 to 4 degree shims in or drop the transfer case...

need to shim??? I'm stock height....
i'm taking it to my fathers shop this week to have it checked out...

I dunno guys, mine does this too and I just put brand new u-joints in. I put money on the pinion yoke being loose or backlash needing adjusting, I just don't worry about it.

tysonxj said:
My $$ is on the slip yoke binding. It happened on my '99. The Jeep dealer told me to get some fancy grease that GM sells. It worked.
Good luck.

I second this and similar opinions in this thread-- if the slip yoke (or driveshaft slip if you have an SYE) is binding then when you apply light throttle from a stop the noise will show up, as well as after a stop. It feels exactly like a motor mount clunk. What you need is Teflon grease, I know Ford dealers have it, don't know about the rest of the automotive world.

JJacobs said:
I second this and similar opinions in this thread-- if the slip yoke (or driveshaft slip if you have an SYE) is binding then when you apply light throttle from a stop the noise will show up, as well as after a stop. It feels exactly like a motor mount clunk. What you need is Teflon grease, I know Ford dealers have it, don't know about the rest of the automotive world.

Agree with Jon and others. If it was a u-joint is would likely be making a clicking sound the speed of the driveshaft revolutions. I've never known of a u-joint making a clunk. I work at a Ford store, and we regularly have that type of clunk, and it's usually the slip yoke. Greasing it, or replacing the driveline, takes care of it.

kmagnuss, it sounds like you have the same problem as me. I am pretty sure my ujoints and brakes are in good shape, I will check the slip joint, that sounds pretty likely. It seems, though, like it is some kind of axle wrap, but I don't know. Thanks very much everyone for the input, and more is always appreciated!

Jackhill442 said:
what's with the moving of this post?
Your initial post indicated that you've installed two different lifts. Aside from the fact that the problem may have been induced by the lifts and that people on the Modified forum might be netter prepared to address it than those on the OEM forum, perhaps one of the moderator group felt that questions pertaining to modified vehicles belong on the Modified forum.

Just a thought.

Back