• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

125k RADIATOR/COOLANT TUNE UP

aplatz

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, guys. Been reading the tread on flushing the radiator, etc. My hoses are becoming warn and time for a new set. Question: While I'm at it, I'll flush the radiator. I've had some dripping of coolant when I let the 'ol '96 XJ sit from Thursday-Sunday i the garage (dripping seems to be off the front skid, but can see it leaking anywhere udder the hood) None from the water pump, hoses, etc. Should I:
1- put a new t-stat and water pump anyway? At this miledge how long do I have left in it anyway?
2-Time for anyothers stuff?
3-flush with vinegar? Or just mineral h2o? Or chemical flush?

So far I've done the breaks f&r, o2 snesors, MAT sensor. She's not running hot at all.

Thx,

PLATZIE

If it's got 125K on the clock, and it's a '96 with all original stuff on it, here is what I would do:

new rad, new thermostat, new rad hoses, new heater hoses, new water pump, and new serpentine belt. Forward flush the heater core and back flush it with the garden hose before installing the new hoses, and then button it up with new coolant.

Since the heater core and rad are where most of the crud settles out, and you are putting in a new rad, I would not worry about doing a flush with chemicals if you can get the heater core flushed with the hose.

If you do the above, you will essentially have an all-new cooling system, and that will bring peace of mind once it gets real warm or real cold.

Nothing at all is necessary if you aren't having cooling problems. The water pump only leaks when engine is running, so a coolant leak after Jeep has been sitting is coming elsewhere. Just flush the system with a garden hose kit and maybe replace thermostat. I recommend the orange Dex Cool coolant. I love it, works and lasts much better.

A 1996 with all original equipment has a almost 9 year old radiator. At that age, it's almost certain that the rad tubes are pretty plugged. Swapping it out now would avoid a nasty surprise when it finishes getting plugged and overheads rapidly and badly.

Eagle reminds posters all the time that radiators, even ones well treated, have a finite life, and he is 100% correct.

PaulJ said:
Radiators on my '87 and '89 only lasted 14 years.
You are far and away the exception to the rule then. What's your secret? Regular flushes and distilled water? If the radiator isn't kept in excellent maintenance you're lucky to get 9 years out of it, much less 14. Then again, if you mean that the radiators in the 87 and 89 lasted 14 years total, that's more like it ;)

Back