• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny slip in 1st gear??

wideangle

NAXJA Forum User
Wow, there are alot of AW4 questions on here! Here is another one.

94XJ 4WD AW4 156K miles

Does anyone have any experience with what seems like slippage in first gear? On quick starts it sounds like something is grinding/slipping. It sounds like it is coming from under the vehicle. On gentle starts the trans shifts fine. I did a fluid change on it (pan only) and replaced it with Valvoline DIII/Mercon and some Trans X. The fluid that came out looked pretty brown compared to the new stuff. It did not smell burnt though.

I have a filter kit for it but was not able to pull the pan at the time. The plan was to keep an eye on the fluid level and color and go from there.

Any ideas on what I should look for from here?

Along these lines, if a rebuild was necessary, what kind of complexity/special tools are involved to rebuild the AW4? Where is the best source for a kit or parts?

Thanks.

I would change it again and this time drop the pan and filter and get more of the original fluid out. Also clean the pan and magnets in the bottom of it. I used Mobil1 transmission fluid and it shifts smoother. Also don't over fill it. As far as your trans needing rebuilt I can't help but I read the converter is the problem most of the time. Just thought of something else, have you checked your transmission mount?

JoBo

JoBo said:
I would change it again and this time drop the pan and filter and get more of the original fluid out. Also clean the pan and magnets in the bottom of it. I used Mobil1 transmission fluid and it shifts smoother. Also don't over fill it. As far as your trans needing rebuilt I can't help but I read the converter is the problem most of the time. Just thought of something else, have you checked your transmission mount?
JoBo

I was planning on doing another change w/filter within the next week or so. I'll check the mount this weekend. Hadn't thought of that yet.

What are the usual torque converter failure symptoms? I have no rough or abrupt shifts at all, just the possible slip getting the XJ moving under a heavy foot.

Thanks for the ideas thus far.

Had an old 87, that started slipping at about the same mileage. Seemed to be more noticeable when it was cold, pretty much disappeared when it was hot. Regular old Dexron/Mercon (I used Mobile) seemed to work the best. Tried an additive, didn´t seem to help, may have actually made it a little worse. Slipped a little for the next 30,000 miles or so. Was careful about getting it warm, before quick accelerations, downshifted in the mountains and avoided trailer towing. Babied it a bit.
Had another, that was slipping some and had strange shifts, a couple of fluid changes, seemed to have cured it. Think the dealer, put Dodge ATF, in there, sure didn´t look like Dexron.
I´ve been shying away from most/any exotic tranny fluid and/or additives, regular old, run of the mill, base type Dexron, seems to work the best. Just buy a name brand.
Might want to have a look at your, TV cable adjustment. If the throttle body or intake has been off, it may be out of adjustment. Proper adjustment, can give you a little more pump pressure.
I´ve looked at some rebuild kits, most I´ve seen cost just about the same, as a good used tranny from a dismantler.

Back