• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3,5" and 32"s MT/R, Can it be done?

sivrt

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have the 3,5" kit with AAL from RE and some 1" shackles from JKS in the rear. Right now I have the 31" x 10,5" - 15" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R on. It is a `99 XJ sport.
The thing is, I would really want to fit 32"s with this setup without trimming fenders. Can it be done ? Or will I loose to much flex?
It is possible to raise the front 1cm more with some OME spacers I have, in addition to the 3,5" lift which in theory should get it to about 3,75" in the front.
I`m bying some 15x8 rims with 3,75" or 4" of BS which these 32"s is intendent for..
I`m also extending the bumpstops so that the tires don`t hit anything when wheeling.

Any opinions?
I would really like some pictures of this setup if someone is running this already.. Preferably from the side and rear so I can see how much the tires stick out..

You'll have to do some trimming. I was running 32s with 4" BS wheels.(BTW the, almost new, wheels and tires are for sale) with RE 3.5" coils and I had to trim the fenders and redrill for the flares, moving everything up about 2" to fit.

This has been discussed many times so please search. They will not fit without trimming, especially with 3.75" backspacing. Shoot for 4.5" of backspacing and you might be able to get away with only trimming the very bottom of the flares, but it will be close, whether you have 3.5" or 3.75".

negative ghostrider. Even with 4.5" of lift and 4" of backspacing, minor trimming was necessary on my 99 to fit 32 x 11.5 BFG's.

No way, no how, at least not without a lot of trimming or increasing your bumpstop. I have the 4.5" lift with 32x11.5 MT's on 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing. I trimmed all the way up to the metal lip around the wheel well, and added another half inch the bumpstops that came with the lift. It still rubs a little at full flex.

-Brian

Easy.
sawzall.jpg

Billy

Ok.. Does anybody have pics of trimming fenders on this model XJ, `99? I could do some minor trimming I guess.. I counted on extending my bumpstops. Fortunately the rims isn`t ordered yet, so I can still go for the 4,5" BS.
It should work fine in the rear, since I have 4,5" of lift here, it is in the front I`m worried it will rub when flexing..
I drive about 90-95 % on road..

firsst of all we need to see your setup, to be honest, i was running a 3 inch lift on my xj at one point and could fit 32's with no rubbing. and i dont even think i was at a 3 inch lift compared to other jeeps. how much clearance do u have with the 31's right now?

I did the RE Superflex 3.5" on both my daughters' XJ's and used 31" tires with no trimming or any particular rubbing of the fenders. Used the stock wheels. After market rims have less backspacing and are more prone to rub. We also ran 32s on one of them and there was some rubbing in the front. If you don't want to trim fenders then run 31s with stock backspacing and they will work just fine. The lift difference between 32 and 31 inch tires is only 1/2" anyway.
If you don't care to trim then go 36" like I just did! :wow:

I was planning on extending the bumpstops so that I didn`t rub with any amount of flex. Also, in Norway you must have fenders that cover the tires or else you get a ticket from the police. I think I will go with 4" of BS and see how it turns out with the 31`s before I decide whether go up to 32" or stay at 31"

Back