• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flooded engine tips

awr94903

NAXJA Forum User
I was crossing a river yesterday and flooded the motor (95 xj, 4.0L, 5spd). No water in the oil, pulled the plugs & turned the crank and a fair amount of water came out. Pulled apart the distributer & dried it out. Tomorrow, I'm going to change the oil & filter. Is there anything else i should do before trying to start it? TIA
Aaron

awr94903 said:
I was crossing a river yesterday and flooded the motor (95 xj, 4.0L, 5spd). No water in the oil, pulled the plugs & turned the crank and a fair amount of water came out. Pulled apart the distributer & dried it out. Tomorrow, I'm going to change the oil & filter. Is there anything else i should do before trying to start it? TIA
Aaron
Well don't forget to look after your axles, transmission and tcase as well.

awr94903 said:
btt, any ideas?

Maybe a squirt of oil in each cylinder and turn it over slowly by hand to relube the cylinder walls. Could go to the extreme of pulling the dist and spinning the oil pump with a drill to get the system pre-pressurized.
Other than hanging one of those jet engine kero heaters pointed at the engine compartment or getting all your family and friends with blow dryers circling the engine compartment to help dry it out thats about all I can think of.

Back