• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Over head console trouble in my MJ

tcf26

NAXJA Forum User
Well I picked up a 91 XJ Overhead console to put into my MJ and I had to cut it right behind the sunglasses dropdown so I had to get rid of the rear lights. Well now I realized that the rear lights are the only ones that come on with the dome lights. Everything else works but I took the rear lights and replaced the front ones with them. I took the whole white piece with the bulbs and I noticed it has a red wire that the front ones don' have. Well since I hooked that up the lights stay on constantly and won't turn off unless I hold the light buttons, as soon as I let them go then the light comes right back on and nothing happens when I open the door. The yellow wire is hooked up correctly I just need to know which wires to the bulbs and light switches have to be hooked up. There is a red wire a black wire and two green wires one that went to the front and one that went to the back. Any help would be appreciated. I want these to come on with my domes and also have the turn on with the switches. I have changed it back and forth and I know I am missing something.

P.S. I have the wiring diagram but it isn't helping. I need to know why the lights are staying on. I couldn't get them to come on with the domes when the front lights were still hooked up before I changed them to the back ones with the red wire.

I hope this makes sense to someone out there!! I put the yellow wire to the black on my dome lights so as far as I have heard that is where it goes?

What year MJ and what year console?

I assume the rear lights in the console turned on and off manually by pressing on them, like the rear cargo light in an XJ. Did you push on the lights? Maybe they're just in the ON position.

Back