• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case fluid

meathead40

NAXJA Forum User
quick question....

Just completed a complete engine, transmission, and tranfer case rebuild. installed and ready for fluids.

this is the first transfer case rebuiled I have attempted. I understand that the transfer case is filled with atf fluid. just want to make sure first.

NAXJA has really been helpful durring this process I haven't had to ask too many questions. just been looking at past forums for answers. I will most definitely send in the $$$ for an official membership. THANKS.:D

Yep, regular olde ATF works fine (Dextron II) but I found Mobil 1 synth ATF works great too.

If I just rebuilt mine, I'd drive it a half hour or so with standard ATF in there, mainly to swish up any schrapnel and confirm it isn't leaking. Drain it when hot/warm...and if it was tight, then the synthetic ATF is a good investment. If it is weepy...stick with standard.

Don't put synth ATF in your AW4 Auto-trans (if you have one) but I'd drain it out after 1/2hr too, add fresh and it ought to be good

For the motor, I'd run it stationary for 10-15 min varying RPMs, coool it off to ambient, repeat, then drain and change the filter/oil. Probably do another d&c with filter every 500 miles for 3000, then run 2-3000 more and switch to synth if it's oil-tight too.

YMMV but I like getting all the stuff out of mine.

I concur with steve on that t-case fluid. I just changed mine not to long ago and went with AMSOIL synthetic ATF. Makes a hell of a difference in shifting quality! When the original fluid was drained, it resembled cooked blood with just a hint of purple. Nasty!

Why not use synthetic in the auto trans?
and what do you think about using Valvoline max life ATF in both trans and t-case?

And what do you all think of Lucas additives both engine and transmission?

GZ32
90XJ

GZ,

I put mobil 1 ATF in my 88 XJ transmission and lost 3-4 mpg. I changed sensors and nothing got better. I finally went over my maintenance records and concluded the loss of MPG happen soon after I had done two back to back drains of the transmission through the drain plug. Once I made this conclusion I had a transmission transfusion done.

Long before I put the Mobil 1 ATF in my transmission I had read a TSB from the late 90s which said "ONLY use Dextron which has the certification number on the bottle".

I looked at the Mobil 1 ATF bottle and it said it exceeded the requirements but no cert number on the bottle. I figured it I was good.

After that lesson the ONLY ATF that will go in my transmission is Dextron with the certification number on the bottle. Now look at the fluid you want to use, if it has the cert number - should begin with a "D" - then I would use it, if not cert number then leave it on the shelf.

Martin

Thanks for the info....

next I will have to look at the mod forum. didn't plan to do too much though untill I started looking at NAXJA. GEE... Thanks a lot guys. It's almost as if I have no choice now. MUST HAVE LIFT. It's too bad the wife don't see it the same way. I tried to esplain it to her... "Gosh, I've already sunk in all that $$$ for an engine, transmission, and transfer case rebuild.. I have no choice now honey".
Have ya ever left notes lying around the house like, "If only I could have but a mear 4.5" lift kit, then my life would be complete". Or leave Tire catalogues lying around with certain tires circled in big black marker?

Ha ha, thats what im gonna try to with my girlfriend. While she is sleeping im whispering in her ear "optima...Optima...OPTIMA..."

Back