• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soundmaster Muffler?

jlaw3000

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i just baught a Soundmaster Muffler from Napa because they said that it would give me almost the same sound as a flowmaster 40 series and improve my hp a little bit. Anybody know anything about Soundmaster. Good Bad? Should i return it and just get the real deal or give it a try and see how it works out? Thanx.

Return it but don't buy another. Cut behind the cat, keeping emissions the same but sounding awesome. Also, a muffler provides more backpressure than no muffler= less hp and mpg. With the exhaust directly out the headers though, there isn't enough backpressure which has the same neg. effect.

cut it off and watch your low end torque and gas mileage go down. If you cant spring for the good- at least keep the napa till you can

Dew is correct on this. When you remove your muffler, drive it around a bit and feel the difference. You will notice that your torque drops significantly. For a trail rig, or even a regular grocery getter this is very bad because the 4.0L makes it's most torque and horsepower at low RPM's. Either stick with the stock, replace with Napa, or put a 40 on there. But I promise you won't want to run without a muffler. It is true what jeepinxj05 said about having too much or not enough backpressure, but the Jeep's exhaust is fairly close to the best you will get. The cat is basically as freeflowing as possible, so the muffler is the only source of backpressure. Running without it will leave you with close to no backpressure.

I've been riding without the muffler but haven't noticed a drop (i guess thats cause it was my first mod when i got the jeep) but a question. Will a cherry bomb glass pack do the same as a muffler? One of the great things about south MS is that we don't have emissions testing. I'll probly cut the cat and get a turndown muffler, or go with that cherry bomb.

Last edited:
a flowmaster is 40 freaking dollars, its not a borla.... just buy it and you will be all set. ebay has them cheap.

this hijack of "hack it off, it doesnt matter" "yes it does" has been discussed at length... hasta

as for the thread question, i am of the opinion that any muffler is as good as annother, having run many on the old 4 runner (86) run the flomaster, and the cheap one that corner muffler man had, all the same to me... all got riped up on rocks anyway... (should have bought/made a skid...)

I just put on the flowmaster 40 this weekend sounds great.. Return the Napa one. I just cut after the cat welded the flow master on reused my stock tailpipe cause its stainless and its pretty beefy and added a nice tip. All for 40 bucks got the tip for free..

thanx for the help guys. i need muffler for emmisions so ill giv er a try, if it sounds like crap ill just return it and go with the flowmaster.. thanks again

Back