• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd Ford Van?

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
I saw an early (late 70's, early 80's) Ford van the other day, and it had a front diff. It even looked like a D44. Any ideas what it was

There are a bunch of companies that make 4wd ford, cheby and dodge vans, two that I know of are in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area. They will take your new or used van and do the conversion. We have a few running around this area. Can be somehat disconcerting to have one in your rear view mirror following you up a steep deep snow covered road that has everyone else off on the shoulders and in the drainage ditches waiting for tow trucks..... for some reason live axles just seem to go better in snow...

I'm pretty sure that it was stock...it was in a trashy part of town, so it's not like someone shelled out $$$ for a conversion. On the left fender, where it had a name-tag, it read something to the affect: Adenturer, or something.(I saw it a while ago) I have also seen others sitting in the back of fields or amongst other dead and dying cars....

Only stock 4wd vans I've seen are new cargo vans which only started this year, maybe last year. The conversions were sold off dealers lots tho so anyone could have gotten it financed or possibly bought it used.

Sarge

Chevy has offered 4WD as an option on vans, but not Ford--at least, not that I've ever heard of. Almost certainly, someone did a swap. They're not that uncommon.

Ford did sell 4x4 vans in the early 80's it was an option only on the e250/e350 models and didnt last long probably because that was around the same time that the first suv's were coming out (xj and s10 blazer). My Dad bought one in 81 or 82 it was great for taking the family out on camping trips out in the woods and for hunting trips.

A guy in town here has a late 80's E-350 4X4 with a 460/C6 been trying for years to but it, but I'm on a long list of others that want it.

They still do conversions. I always see Fedex vans (Ford) with four wheel drive in New Hampshire and Vermont and a few here in Mass.

Back