• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just lifted...rear sag and axle question (pics)

KinesthesiaDrums

NAXJA Forum User
awight...first off specs- 1990 XJ Laredo 4.0 2WD 4 door

i been searchin all day and didn't really find a thread with a clear answer to my problem......this past weekend i lifted my jeep with Rough Country's 4.5 w/ AAL.......did front end friday night, and rear on saturday....i am more than happy with the ride height and the ride quality. Yes, it's kinda "Rough" like all of you said it would be, but it's that sporty, stiff, bouncy rough that i kinda like...i'm weird...so what? lol.
anyways...the front end is great...it's the back end that i am kinda concerned about....it sits about 2 inches lower than the front......i took the Heavy Duty stock spring pack out of a 1989 laredo XJ with the factory towing package to put the AAL in on this jeep (the stock leafs on this jeep had sagged to much negative-ness)
so this lift kit came with the AAL's and 6" long drop shackles....
i want the back to come up to be level with the front, if not an inch or so higher.......
i installed the AALs in the leaf stack where i saw other write ups say to...the instructions weren't too clear....but the AALs are at a kinda odd length....same leangth as lower leaf at one end, and longer at the other....
pictures:
driver.jpg

passenger.jpg

frontleaf.jpg

backleaf.jpg

so yea.....i guess i probly should have bought an entire new leaf pack (like most of you suggest), but i figured using the factory heavy duty springs might help avoid that....soooooo i don't really have the money right now to go buy new full spring packs.......(looking at getting RE when i do...yay, nay?)
what can i do????
are there longer shackles i can use.....i don't really wanna go to blocks...heard too many bad things....my dad looked at my spring packs and said i might have the AALs in backwards......is he right?

oh, and btw.....this rig IS only 2WD....so whatever options i can do, there won't be much, if any, real offroading done with it...

axle question.....
i posted my question at the end of a similar thread (2nd page)....since there was already one, i didn't really wanna start a new one....but it doesn't seem to have been noticed.....so if you guys could check that out for me and give some advice, i'd really appreciate it....
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34342&page=2&pp=15

-thanks

Last edited:
yes yes, crappy tires, 2 brands....the fronts are higher profile than rears...75's up front, 70's rear

31" BFGs coming this weekend (mommy wants to buy them...so i'll wait...hehe)

I'd try putting the AAL in the other. I dont know if it would help or not.

If it doesn't, you can always get the dakota leaf pack from a junk yard. This can get you up to 4-4.5"s. You shou be able to get the dakota leaf pack for around 40-50 dollars

I don't think the AAL's are backwards, but it looks like they're designed to be the third leaf in the pack instead of the second. The leafs should be in descending order of length top to bottom. Each leaf has a long side and a short side measured from the hole to the end of the leaf. Make sure all the long sides are all on the same side to make sure you don't have it backwards. My AAL was the second leaf in the pack, but it was the appropriate length (Skyjacker). Just use your old saggy springs, cut the eyes off the main leaves, and add those main leaves to the new pack too to increase the overall height of the rear. It will increase the stiffness a little, but you like the ride rough so you should love it. :)

Last edited:
Ya. The AAL's are definately supposed to go second to the bottom. I have the three inch Rough Country lift w/ AAL's and it sagged. I just got a set of Rusty's 1.5" greasable shackles and now it's great.

mkay....thanks so far guys.....
i kinda had a feeling the leaf went next space down....after really lookin at it......'cause i knew they were supposed to be in acending order....but being the same length at one end, and short at the other really threw me off....*scratches head*

i didn't swap any of the existing springs....just clamped them, separated them enough and slid the new one in.....i'll check on the distance either side of the center pin hole tho....

xj92---thats a good idea...i shoulda thought of using the old leafs..hehe...any clue as to how much extra lift that might add?

jeepinxj05--did those shackles replace the shackles that came with your lift? or did your lift not even come with any...'cause i already got shackles on...they 6.5" from hole to hole...i think remember hearing thats about a 1.5" drop...

my rustys aal was put in the same position as his, based on the instructions. I mean, mine might be wrong too, but it provided the desired amount of lift, and has not sagged in over 2 years. I'd imagine that the leaf is in backwards, not in the wrong place.

retard_ed_1 said:
why do the bumpers on all old xjs look like they got rear ended?

hehe...cause i have been 4 times

There's no way to tell the exact amount of lift that one extra leaf will give because it depends on the arch of your AAL, the arch of the old stock main, and some other factors. I'd add it in and try it though. It's kind of trial and error but it will give you more height, more load capacity, and strengthen the springs overall and prevent axle wrap (along with making the ride a little stiffer).

tiblerbrit said:
my rustys aal was put in the same position as his, based on the instructions. I mean, mine might be wrong too, but it provided the desired amount of lift, and has not sagged in over 2 years. I'd imagine that the leaf is in backwards, not in the wrong place.
The rusty's leaf is longer so it goes as the second leaf down. His is shorter so it goes third down.

Back