• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof racks??

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
First question is in regards to stock roof racks that come on xj's. The newer ones i've been looking at have them, but if stops before the driver side door....for example my 93...the roof rack spans from right before the rear hatch and goes all the way up right before the front windshield...so the newer ones ive seen a few where the rack stops before the drivers and passengers front door. Is this just an option? This question leads me into my next question...i was looking through pics and a few xjs have the spare tire on the roof....(31") its not one of those actual roof cages though....all you can see is the tire up there...what kind of mount is this...if i'm not specific enough let me know and i'll try to find another pic to show you guys. Thanks for any info.

Believe it or not, I think being a 2-door or 4-door also makes a difference. My '99 2-door has the stop-short roof rack, where my buddy's '99 4-door has the full length rack.

later,
ronnie

piperRonnie said:
Believe it or not, I think being a 2-door or 4-door also makes a difference. My '99 2-door has the stop-short roof rack, where my buddy's '99 4-door has the full length rack.

later,
ronnie

HMmm thats a possibility...ive only been looking at 4doors though and theyv'e all had the shorter ones. My g/f's 98 is a 4dr and she has the longer one...wierd. Any info on where i can find that tire carrier?

I was under the impression that they switched to the short rack in '99. Ronnie's friend's 4-door may have been a fluke... when they have parts leftover at the factory, they use them up!

There is a Mopar accessory that mounts the spare tire directly to the stock roof rack... not sure if it is available any more, but they pop up on ebay occasionally.

I'll check e-bay thanks....does anyone else know where i can find one of these tire carriers???!!!

Lawn Cher' said:
I was under the impression that they switched to the short rack in '99. Ronnie's friend's 4-door may have been a fluke... when they have parts leftover at the factory, they use them up!
Yep, 99 was the year they changed over to the shortend racks. Probably an early production model with left over parts. (I wonder if he has the rounded 99 intake or the older squared off style/)

Actually they switched to the short racks in the last part of 1997 with the late 1997 and 1998 models. It was for liability. If you look, even the earlier ones only had skid rails between the roof rack that went to the rear of the front door. Seems people were putting stuff in the front area ahead of those because the roof rack reached that far and then complaining about the resulting scratches AND when they flipped one that load would cause the roof to cave in further over the 2 front seats etc.

My 98's side rails go almost to the windshield but the rubber slider strips end at the passenger area right behind the front seats. Mine was built Oct97, I bought it in Dec97

xjmac2 said:
Actually they switched to the short racks in the last part of 1997 with the late 1997 and 1998 models. It was for liability. If you look, even the earlier ones only had skid rails between the roof rack that went to the rear of the front door. Seems people were putting stuff in the front area ahead of those because the roof rack reached that far and then complaining about the resulting scratches AND when they flipped one that load would cause the roof to cave in further over the 2 front seats etc.
SPOBI...... my 98 had the long rails (IIRC built in Jan, bought in Jan)

All the '98 and earlier models I've seen have the long rack, and the '99 models and newer have the short rack.

Well, I guess I have to say this just so I'm not thought of as nuts. I observed and asked about the shorter racks before the end of 1997. I spotted them on a visit to the dealership here in the Cleveland, OH area. Maybe because we're closer to Toledo?

The short rack had been on the Grand Cherokee prior to being applied to the XJ, and I'm fairly sure they are interchangeable. Were ZJ's built in Toledo? Maybe some random parts swapping going on.

JeepXJ93 said:
Any info on where i can find that tire carrier?
My 97 4 door has full length roof rack thingys. I bought an OEM roof rack tire carrier from my local Jeep stealership a couple of years ago. I don't like it at all. Not sure if its what you have seen out there, but they are available from the dealer. My problem with it is that the tire mounts onto a bracket above the two roof rack rails, so it sits about 4" above the roof. Also, I had to pay full price (140.00 CDN) in advance to order it, and when i saw it, i didn't want it, but they would not refund my money, so I was stuck with it. I'm pretty sure a thief could get it in about 10 seconds too, although it wasn't stolen when my jeep was broken into. It looks stupid and prevents me from going into parking garages. If it sat flush with the roof or hung between the rails or something it would be better and would look better. Now, when i want the spare out i just put it on the roof and bungee it down.

I'll be happy to refund your cost ($140.00 CDN) ...... What is that in UDS???.... $12.00?!?!?! :laugh2:

Beej said:
My 97 4 door has full length roof rack thingys. I bought an OEM roof rack tire carrier from my local Jeep stealership a couple of years ago. I don't like it at all. Not sure if its what you have seen out there, but they are available from the dealer. My problem with it is that the tire mounts onto a bracket above the two roof rack rails, so it sits about 4" above the roof. Also, I had to pay full price (140.00 CDN) in advance to order it, and when i saw it, i didn't want it, but they would not refund my money, so I was stuck with it. I'm pretty sure a thief could get it in about 10 seconds too, although it wasn't stolen when my jeep was broken into. It looks stupid and prevents me from going into parking garages. If it sat flush with the roof or hung between the rails or something it would be better and would look better. Now, when i want the spare out i just put it on the roof and bungee it down.

Back