• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 minutes of your time *please read*

Man you read slow, like just a minute!

Why not just do an advisement if XJDB.com is using a picture of your that you don't want use to email us and I will remove it.

K.I.S.S.

hinkley

Sounds pretty fair to me. Having said that, does xjdb only show pictures that people submit, or does it archive other interesting stuff that's found over time? I personally don't have a problem with the latter (my attitude is that if you don't want people to pass it around, don't put it on the web), but can see someone getting real uppity if they ran across photos on the site that were archived but not submitted (or submitted by a third party who had no real right to do so).

Mark Hinkley said:
Man you read slow, like just a minute!

Why not just do an advisement if XJDB.com is using a picture of your that you don't want use to email us and I will remove it.

K.I.S.S.

hinkley

Well, I need ya to fill out the little form and hit submit, not just read it. (I didn't get yours ;) )
Some people don't think that doing what you suggest is doing "enough".
Billy

casm said:
Sounds pretty fair to me. Having said that, does xjdb only show pictures that people submit, or does it archive other interesting stuff that's found over time? I personally don't have a problem with the latter (my attitude is that if you don't want people to pass it around, don't put it on the web), but can see someone getting real uppity if they ran across photos on the site that were archived but not submitted (or submitted by a third party who had no real right to do so).

The site started with the hundreds and hundreds of pictures that I collected from various places over that last few years. Everything was either posted or linked at some point and that's how I came acrossed it.
Billy

You want me to fill it out even though I don't have any pictures on there? :confused:

Safari Ary said:
You want me to fill it out even though I don't have any pictures on there? :confused:
Therein lies the potential problem. How do you know that there are no pictures of you or your rig on the site? Have you looked at each and every one of the hundreds of photos Billy has collected?

I think Billy is on the right track to obtain permission for posting photos on his site. The problem is that he's starting awfully late in the game. IANAL but I was in a previous existence a semi-pro photographer and I knew enough about copyright law to get myself in trouble. If someone openly posts their photos on the Internet with no disclaimer, then the pictures have effectively been released into the public domain and anyone can copy them onto another site, and even use them to make money, and the original photographer has no valid claim for compensation.

But ... I don't know how careful Billy was to check each web site he copied pics from for a copyright or "all rights reserved, do not reproduce" notice. If any of the pics are from sites with such a notice, those pics were NOT released into the public domain and nobody has a right to copy or use them without the original photographer's express permission. Simply posting a note saying "If you don't want me to use your pics send me an e-mail" doesn't satisfy any legal requirements. The legality is that if a photo came from a source where the owner's copyright was declared, posting it on another web site is illegal and a "let me know" notice doesn't make it less so. That's a geat gesture of goodwill and good intentions for non-copyrighted photos, but it doesn't protect Billy if he has any copyrighted photos on his site.

Eagle said:
Therein lies the potential problem. How do you know that there are no pictures of you or your rig on the site? Have you looked at each and every one of the hundreds of photos Billy has collected?

I think Billy is on the right track to obtain permission for posting photos on his site. The problem is that he's starting awfully late in the game. IANAL but I was in a previous existence a semi-pro photographer and I knew enough about copyright law to get myself in trouble. If someone openly posts their photos on the Internet with no disclaimer, then the pictures have effectively been released into the public domain and anyone can copy them onto another site, and even use them to make money, and the original photographer has no valid claim for compensation.

But ... I don't know how careful Billy was to check each web site he copied pics from for a copyright or "all rights reserved, do not reproduce" notice. If any of the pics are from sites with such a notice, those pics were NOT released into the public domain and nobody has a right to copy or use them without the original photographer's express permission. Simply posting a note saying "If you don't want me to use your pics send me an e-mail" doesn't satisfy any legal requirements. The legality is that if a photo came from a source where the owner's copyright was declared, posting it on another web site is illegal and a "let me know" notice doesn't make it less so. That's a geat gesture of goodwill and good intentions for non-copyrighted photos, but it doesn't protect Billy if he has any copyrighted photos on his site.

Before it wasn't that big of a deal (legally), but if I end up with a single red cent in my pocket (after hosting costs, etc), then I'm leaving myself open to lawsuits... so I'm just trying to cover my ass. Not to mention that I don't want to screw over my fellow jeepers.
Billy

You have permission to use my pictures all you want considering there are a few pics on there, I love the site :skull1:

Eagle said:
IANAL but I was in a previous existence a semi-pro photographer and I knew enough about copyright law to get myself in trouble. If someone openly posts their photos on the Internet with no disclaimer, then the pictures have effectively been released into the public domain and anyone can copy them onto another site, and even use them to make money, and the original photographer has no valid claim for compensation.
SPOBI, SPOBI, SPOBI.

That is just not true. Publishing it on the internet with or without a disclaimer does NOT make it public domain.

I swear to god....

the fact that this question even has to be asked is pathetic.

I know you have quite a few pics of my junk on your site, and you probably remember, that you in fact did take the time to ask my permission to use them.

I was actually surprised you had asked, its refreshing that you cared.

you can continue to use the pictures any way you want.

as for the little ninnies out there that would make issue of having a picture of thiers hosted on your website, you people need to be powdered with lime and throw into a mass grave.

they're just stupid pictures of stupid jeeps.

BAD BEEZIL!!! i cant believe you would say that of all people. pictures being stupid, whats wrong with you

Beezil said:
as for the little ninnies out there that would make issue of having a picture of thiers hosted on your website, you people need to be powdered with lime and throw into a mass grave.

Beez as much as I agree with you, it was a stupid freakin cup of *GASP* HOT coffee *GASP* that cost mcdonalds millions of dollars in lawsuits. I admire Billy for trying to keep this site up and running as I think it is a great service to us in the XJ community. Particularly as a place to send newbies who ask too many stupid questions.

Ary

Beezil said:
I swear to god....

the fact that this question even has to be asked is pathetic.

I know you have quite a few pics of my junk on your site, and you probably remember, that you in fact did take the time to ask my permission to use them.

I was actually surprised you had asked, its refreshing that you cared.

you can continue to use the pictures any way you want.

I know, I know, and as sad as it is, I gotta have it on file (http://www.xjdb.com/terms/terms.php). I won't use your names for anything except to verify your identity... but I'd rather have only a username and maybe a first name than no vote at all.
Thanks,
Billy

So Billy what are your rising costs with your site?

Are you going for goggle ads or do you have MFGs/Businesses who want to put up $$s for banners.

hinkley

Back