• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydrolic Clutch Freeplay

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, over the weekend I noticed that my '90 4.0 5sp has a lit of freeplay on the clutch pedal. It's not losing any fluid, and everything concerning the clutch is new, even the tube between the master and slave cylinders. What gives? does it need to be bled again? It seems to get better if I pump it a lot.

Thanks

Ecarlcl

When you say free play, are you referring to free travel at the top of the stroke, or do you mean that you have to let the peddle up from the floor too far before the clutch engages?

In general, if pumping makes it better my first thought would be to bleed it.

I have the same problem. Lot's of play in my clutch. If I pump the line a lot I get's a little harder. I replaced both the slave and the master (and the clutch while I am at it) and it's still a little soft. Maybe we are both getting air in, but not leaking any fluid out. I will let you know if I get an answer.

You answered your own question - _ you replaced the line from the master to slave cylinder _ . If you did not bend the line to exactly match the original, you most likely left high points in the line at which air is getting trapped. This happened to me when I changed mine. I redid mine then used a pressure bleeding tool ( a mity-vac hand pump, available at auto parts stores) to make sure it was properly bled, now it works fine.

The line I put in, was pre-bent by chrysler. I will look into getting one of those pressure bleeders, and see if that helps any. It is possible that air is getting trapped in there somewhere. by freeplay I am talking about free movement at the top of the stroke.

Thanks for the replies.

ecarlcl

Back