• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New competition for the XJ?

Seems pretty cool! It's nice to see that they are making an effort to improve their Xterras, and not claiming them as the most awesome vehicles to hit the market.

That is definetly cool. It means you will start seeing alot of them on the trails in the next couple of years. I like the xterras, well at least most everything about them. I don't know If it is me, but the truck in the picture didn't seem to flex that well. Good, but not as good as most Long armed xjs. Cool to see this will be hitting the market soon.

Thats Awesome! if i had to trade in the xj, i could definetly do it for that(but of course i wont:))

i thought it flexed pretty good, especially compared to its ifs buddies

I am not saying it doesn't flex well, I am saying that it doesn't flex as well as most long arm xjs. I guess I feal some reason to point this out because I know this kit will be expensive, considering the coil overs and all mounting brakets. Very cool, I like the nissans because they are something diffrent and have an advantage over an xj, which is a frame in my opinion. I am in no way bashing the truck, I have owned several nissans and always had very good luck with them( except my current 96 PU, A tree fell on it during the last hurricane).

the xterra is a respectable 4x4. I use to see an xterra club every once in awhile on the trails in CO. They did very well and had good offroad performance. This is an inevitable progression of the vehicle.

I used to work on the Nissan yard at the Smyrna plant where the X-terra, and Frontier pickups are made.

I was really not impressed ever with the X-Terra. It is a prety "plastic" truck, and even in the parking lot drove and rode very rough. It wasn't as smooth as either my ZJ or XJ.

I imagine though with the upgrades, it could be made fairly capable.

By the way, I bet of all the X-terra we shipped to dealers, only about 10% were 4x4. They also came with a brush guard as a factory option that was pretty stout, but the tail light protectors were plastic and held on by double sided tape.

I saw one car hauler that lost his balance on the top of his semi and grabbed for the taillight protector to stop his fall, it came off in his hand, and he fell to the concrete below...about a 9 foot fall.

Personal opinion...I wouldn't buy one to convert to solid axle. I'd start with solid axle. It'll be awhile before it becomes major competition.

I think it's cool. I just worry about the supply and demand factor for waggy axles and the like. The Xterra guys will be after the same axles we are.

bknudtsen said:
I think it's cool. I just worry about the supply and demand factor for waggy axles and the like. The Xterra guys will be after the same axles we are.

Well, start stocking up and offer them on the xtera board, strip em, blast em, paint em....heck if you could get the measurements for the mounts you could even weld the hardware mount points on ahead of time...
Most of the xtera's I see here in Pa are out of staters from NJ and NY.

I actually have help with a swap using EB 44 to an X and I have skidplates in the works for em too. Ive been followinga group of guys out here in AZ many have SAS'ed rigs for many years

What I'm wondering is if this'll ultimately result in something similar for the KJ.

casm said:
What I'm wondering is if this'll ultimately result in something similar for the KJ.

Kind of what I was thinking but BIGGER and heavier and NOT a Jeep.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Kind of what I was thinking but BIGGER and heavier and NOT a Jeep.

Yep. I could live with the KJ's looks (I'm convinced that 'KJ' stands for 'Kia Jeep') if it had something like this under the front and the turbodiesel. Not that I have anything against the Xterra - apart from the above ;)

xjnation said:
xj 3,504 lbs

grand wj 3,968 lbs

xterra 3,479 lbs

weight #'s from crash study found on web.

Hard to beleive that xterrap number. Anyhow isn't a xj like 2900 stock??????

hinkley

So, why hasn't any company done this for liberties? I've seen custom solid axle conversions, but no company has come up to the plate like this one has for the xterra.

Last I heard, D-i-l-l-i-n-g-e-r was working on one... to paraphrase, it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Back