• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d60 disc conversion/e350 MC install questions

BennettXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but i had a few specific questions i was hoping could get answered...
I just put in an HD44 8lug and d60FF in the XJ (98 4.0)
The front has the bigass 2piston calipers, rear is drums (for now). I know there are some DIY bracket kits for the d60 disc conversion, but i didnt know what you guys were running. some of them seem pretty flimsy, and i wanted some opinions...is 3/8" plate thick enough for the brackets? What calipers and rotors should i use (its out of a 94 dodge, FF) for the rear? (i know thats a FAQ, but i havent got a really definitave answer yet...) is the chebby calipers and rotors from the mid 70s right?
For the rest of the system, im gonna need more power! so i am gonna swap in an e350 MC (unless someone can convince me that the vettes is way better). Is there a good writeup somewhere of this? i was just going to leave out the o-ring, but leave the prop valve in (to keep the rears from locking up on the street all the damn time).
thanks for any help, and if i missed it in the search, feel free to flame me.
-Bennett

My truck at work is a 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton extended cab 4x4, with a full floating Dana 60 rear end, with factory disk brakes. You may be able to find Dodge parts from a wrecker for your ex-Dodge axle. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the caliper mount (bolt on or weld on?), I better have a closer look.

I did the E350 swap when I went to my 60/14 bolt. It is out of a 95 and bolted right up to my 89 booster and works great. You can re-use one of the old lines off the XJ and if you cut an end off the old line that is left and keep the ends off the ford you can make a line that works.

I recently did a disk brake conversion on the back and used the bracket from sky manufacturing. It is 3/8" thick seems to be working fine. The rotor and calipers are from the front of a 1980 4x4 chevy 3/4 ton. I did loose the parking brake but plan on doing a driveshaft brake on the T-case later.

I pulled the o ring and my rear brakes still lock up way early. I have a adjustible proportioning valve on order so it should take care of it.

Not to hijack this thread but can someone give me the bolt pattern of the backing plates/disc brackets of a 60/14B? I have a D70 and would like to convert it to discs. :wave:

jmop said:
I did the E350 swap when I went to my 60/14 bolt. It is out of a 95 and bolted right up to my 89 booster and works great. You can re-use one of the old lines off the XJ and if you cut an end off the old line that is left and keep the ends off the ford you can make a line that works.

I recently did a disk brake conversion on the back and used the bracket from sky manufacturing. It is 3/8" thick seems to be working fine. The rotor and calipers are from the front of a 1980 4x4 chevy 3/4 ton. I did loose the parking brake but plan on doing a driveshaft brake on the T-case later.

I pulled the o ring and my rear brakes still lock up way early. I have a adjustible proportioning valve on order so it should take care of it.

What prop valve did you order, if you've recieved it and installed it I'd like to know your impressions.

Thanks

Back