• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog light wiring..correct way

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. I have a question that Im sure someone will be able to answer fairly easily. I have a 94 XJ...no factory fog lights. I know it has some of the wiring for the lights already there...but lets forget about those because Ive installed all new harnesses.

Here is my question. Right now, my lights will only come on with the low beams. Another words...not with the parking lights, and they will go off with the high beams to stay legal. I have been over and over wiring diagrams, and I can not figure out how they wire it so that fog lights can come on with parking lights and low beams...but go off with the highs. Can anyone shed some light on this? A drawing on a napkin would even do. I looked at the stock wiring diagram but I cant figure out how exactly the relay is set up. I have the lights wired with a relay and everything, so swapping around some wires wont be a problem. Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Justin

Dual relays.

Most standard automotive relays can be wired to be normally open or normally closed. Normally open means OFF until you send current to the relay. Normally closed means ON until you send current to the relay.

You need to shift the tap for the relay you already have from the low beam wire to a parking light wire. That takes care of getting the fogs to work with the parking lights. This relay is normally OPEN.

Then you need to add an additional relay, in series with the first, wired as normally CLOSED and with the tap taken from a high beam wire. What this does is open the circuit to the fogs when you flip on the high beams.

Hey thanks eagle. I was toying with the idea of dual relays. Its just that all the wiring diagrams I looked at seemed to just use one relay. I know my firebird only has one relay. Maybe it looks like one relay but has two relay systems inside?? Im sure hella makes something like that... Feel free to elaborate on that idea... Also anymore ideas are welcomed. Thanks again!

Justin

Back