• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped ring gear bolt

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I was torquing down the ring gear bolt and it stripped. I'm assuming it is important to have all those bolts in for balancing. The website I read said torque to 80 and it stripped before it ever got there. I must be going to high evidently. It is a 1988 dana 30. If the bolt stripped the ring should still have threads shouldn't it ? Do I wait until I can replace the bolt that is stripped or can it run with a bolt missing ?
Dead in the water !

1988 FSM: Ring gear to case = 55 ft-lbs.

You trashed your bolts. Take 'em all out, thrown them away, and buy new ones.

Seriously. This is not something to fool around with. They publish those torque values for a reason.

80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hell no.
55 lbs ft. is the correct torque setting.
and the bearing caps should be set at 60 lbft.

what website did you get it from cause they need an ass chewing.

A website I was using for info said 80. I have went thru tons of information so my brain was in overload. I had a spare rear end I took the bolts out of and retighten them down to 55lbs. Put my first rock dent in my XJ too. Kinda went up over it faster then I expected. Plus I hadn't bled the brake yet. Any way the locker works great.
Thank for all the help Fella's !

That's why you need your own FSM.

The FSMs publish the torques in Newton-Meters (metric, duh) first, and SAE second. Some folks don't know the difference, other folks are in a hurry and only read the first number they see without reading the UNITS. This should only hurt them, but now these same folks are posting their misinterpretation on the Internet as Gospel.

And you're reading it ... :anon:

Yes you are totally right. The FSM manuels is very important and I will find mine somewhere. See and here I go again. I'm believing everything your telling me too. Just Joking, but yes the internet can get you into trouble.
Thanks !

I had a Zen teacher many years ago who started every talk by saying "Everything I am about to tell you is true ... unless it isn't."

Which was another way of suggesting that we should think about what he was offering rather than blindly accepting it.

Back