• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serious Brake Question

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my warped front rotors. 98XJ Sport.
Money is an issue.
Autozone carries Duralast, and Valucraft Rotors. Are either of these any good? Duralast are about $10.00 more than Valucraft.
I know that brakes are a serious safety item, I don't want to compromise safety. Yet my wallet is a little thin right now.
I will also be replacing the pads as long as I am in there.

Any suggestions.
Thank you.

bustednutz said:
I need to replace my warped front rotors. 98XJ Sport.
Money is an issue.
Autozone carries Duralast, and Valucraft Rotors. Are either of these any good? Duralast are about $10.00 more than Valucraft.

I've had the Duralasts on my '01 XJ for about three months and 3000 miles now. There are no evident problems with them so far and they seem to work reasonably well.

I know that brakes are a serious safety item, I don't want to compromise safety. Yet my wallet is a little thin right now.
I will also be replacing the pads as long as I am in there.

Looking at Autozone's website, I now remember why I went with the Duralasts intead of the Valucrafts - the Duralast rotors have a 1-year warranty, the Valucrafts only three months. I'd be wary of any hard part like that that the manufacturer doesn't guarantee lasting more than 12 weeks in service.

One other thing to consider is the quality of the steel that goes into the rotors - while I can't definitively say if this is the case or not between these two particular brands, the less expensive rotors generally use a poorer grade of steel in their construction; this leads to early rusting and warpage.

And as you say, it's a safety item - particularly with winter coming up, I'd be real wary of driving in the wet or snow with substandard brakes. Your call, but if it was me I'd spend the extra $20 and eat noodles for a few days ;)

I did the brakes on the wifes 98 with the Duralast pads and rotors.I took the time to seat them in before I gave it back to the wife.She is a bit harder on the gas and brakes than I am and she is pleased with the preformance.
A little more brake dust than the NAPA brakes I.m running but the DE3A specs on both.
Wayne

Back