• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from beneath

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,

'88 4.0 peugeot 231w/AA SYE D44(tilted up 5*)

today after driving about 20min. from 55-80mph i am driving about 8mph through the parking lot and i can hear this high pitched whining noise (no chattering) from beneath the jeep. its not coming from the front, but more from the middle or rear. It is NOT RPM related and does it in neutral and in gear. it only happens at low speeds and after the jeep has warmed up nicely. Pulled the e-brake to see if the inner shoes on the disc setup were stuck or something and the pitch/intensity did not change.

it sounds a bit like brake squeal but constant. its not the brakes.

I havent had the time really drive it for extended periods of time when it does this.

should i jack up the rear and put it in gear to see where its coming from? is this safe?

I'm thinking: Pinion is not getting lube, AA SYE is heating up too much due to lack of bearings, or some internal part of the tranny/t-case is on its way out.

what do you think?

Thanks

Lube everything you can under there and see what happens.

Drive shaft joints, slip, CV and such. Look for all the zerts.

hinkley

Thanks for the reply...

took the shaft off and greased it...drove around in front drive for a while to get it squealin. ran in 2H and isolated the noise to the rear output of the T-case. added a drop of oil to the output seal and its gone. fixed. so simple and cheap...i love it.

Peace

Back