• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to look for in a 84-87 XJ?

Mykdiver

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at getting a cheep XJ.
I want to use it for 4wheeling with the family. I plan on Lock Rites front and rear, 31" mudders, and taking a plasma cutter to the fenders. I don't need it pretty, I want to build a capable trail rig for the least amount of $. I am not going to get into hardcore 4wheeling, or much rockcrawling, mostly just trail rides, and mud/snow.
I have a welder, and friends with fabrication skills, so alot of things like bumpers, and skids I will be able to make myself.

What years are the best, +s and -s of the years, what to look for when buying particular years, and good price range for these rigs?

Does it have to be an 84-87? Expect it to be a lot of work, and if it's 94-96 you'll have either an OLD 4-cyl or a crappy V6. In '87 you got the 4.0L I6 instead of the V6 and while it was an incredibly better engine you're still looking at the Renix engine. You can probably find a decent 91-later XJ for low prices if you look around, that will have the High-Output 4.0L and face it...it will be newer. As much as we try to avoid acknowledging it, the unitbody in the XJ will loosen up over the years and it only gets worse the more the Jeep is wheeled.

No it does not have to be those years, I am just looking for one around $2500.
I just found a 92 Ltd ithe the H.O. 4.0, 4.5 lift, 32 BFGs, Pwr everything, in great shape for $2200. Now I just have to come up with the $ before he sells it to someone else.
Thanks for the advice.

I would definatly go for an 87 if you are looking for a beater...Look for the rear 44 they are rare but more commen in the 87's for whatever reason...my 2 cents

My '92's got a chrysler 8.25, but it could have a dana 35. I think there may have been a few with the d44 but probibly the canadian ones... They all have D30's up front.
-Steve D

Yes, a *FEW* 87s have a D44. A '91 or newer would still be a MUCH better choice even if you have to swap the axle...but the 8.25 axle isn't much weaker than the D44 anyway. You DEFINATELY do not want an 84-86.

If this was me I would look for the newest xj you can afford. Preferable non-disco HP 30, 8.25( If not the 44) H.O. 4.0, and some people will think I am being an ass for saying this, but stay away from the 2.8. I would also stay away from the Purgoute ( how ever it is spelled) 5 speed, they like to blow all to hell.Just my opinion.

For $2500, at least in this part of the country, you can buy a lot newer than that. I've seen pretty clean 88-93's for that kinda cash. If you're looking in the older range I'd be thinking $1000-1500. I'd go later years too.

Blair Williams said:
speak for yourself.

I would be willing to bet 99.5% of people would take an 87+ with a 4.0 LONG before an 84-86. Crappy engine, crappy transmission, crappy axles. Yeah, give me one of those....

Back