• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock Right Traction Control

Centrevillemx

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what your opinions are on these. I really wish I could afford a selectable locker but Im a 16 year old on a $1000 Build Budget and I want traction. My Dad has one of these installed on his CJ-7/Willies/AMC Monster (D44's front and rear) and says he doesnt like them because they will not turn right on the street. (aka wherever your pointed when you hit the gas, thats where your going) I do not want to crash and :flame: I am wondering if it is possible to get used to driving one of these, since I will be doing a lot of Highway merging with no merge lanes, will this be difficult with this setup? I thought the outside tire would slip but dad says they dont. BTW its a '90 with plans for a 4.5" and 31's with a few bolt on mods.

Whats your opinion?

i have one in my front and it is unnoticable in the street but a monster offroad. if want a locker cant afford a selectable and want good on road and off. put a lock right up front.

I run an aussie locker in the rear, pretty much the same thing as a lockright. It is noticable around town. But on the highway I rarely know its there. works great offroad.

The "pushing" effect is much more noticeable on sharp turns than it is on gradual turns. And it only shows up when your foot is on the gas. I realize that you have to be accelerating when going onto a highway, but the degree of turning when making a lane change is not very severe. It's not like making a 90-degree turn at a downtown street intersection.

You should be able to adapt to it. On the other hand, if you're not going to build your XJ "big" or dive into extreme wheeling, perhaps rather than a Lock Rite a Trac-Lok would be a better choice. It's a limited slip and it's basically transparent on the street -- most of the time you won't notice that it's there.

also keep in mind that the steering effect of a locker in the rear axle will be noticed more in a short wheelbase rig like a CJ than in the longer wheelbase of the XJ (yet another advantage :) ).

Trac Locs are cheaper than Lockrights, but more trouble to install- gear setup. I have Lockrights in both my jeeps-front and back, only the Xj is a daily driver and it slightly noticeable on the road.

Back