• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube-top, topless again?

I gave up on having a back seat, about a year, and no motivation to perminately mount a rear seat so I decided to just cut the rear cage off...

12 points of attachement, man It was heavier then I though.

Ill probibly run two 1.5in size tubes from the roof to the "truck bed"

Before:
download.php

download.php

download.php

download.php

download.php

After pics:
download.php

download.php

Air over hydraulic ram suspension spy pics.
download.php

download.php

With the 4-link done, Im gonna cut alot more frame off for clearance mounting the rams, and to reduce weight. It will be a fun cutting weekend.

Is that a floral print pattern on the seat covers:) Now thats hardcore:D

AARON

ashmanjeepxj said:

:party:

looks awesome! keep the pics coming!

are the hydraulics for forced articulation or shock absorbing purposes?

If you're at all handy with electronics, I have an interesting idea for your servo control.

Look into picaxe microcontrollers. Similar to a Basic stamp, but infinately cheaper. Doing Servo control is very very easy on these units, basicly a single chip and you could program your suspension to do anything and everything you wanted.

In theory, and I've looked into this, with a yaw/pitch sensor, and a handful of valves you could create a suspension that would maintain a perfectly level body reguardless of terrain - up until the limit of suspension travel anyhow.

The programming language is a derivative of Basic, and it very very easy to learn and use. It would probably cost similar to a simple servo test circuit, but have more power than you know what to do with.

The website for the picaxe is http://picaxe.co.uk and there is also lots of infomation (and also a US source for buying chips) at http://www.phanderson.com

I'm toying with the idea of adding a bare-bones air setup similar to your current till I can afford to add the valves and ancillary devices.

Also Ashman, I thought the vapor pressure of CO2 was closer to 950psi, not 450? I think with a mix of atmospheric air and CO2 the vapor pressure would rise. Of course all that hassle just to run 2.5" bore seems silly when the 3" is actually cheaper and only 7Lbs heavier.

Actually, now that I really think about it, what about an Argon-Co2 mig welding mix. I know the vapor pressure is in the thousands range for that mixture, and its a gas I have readily availible...Much more thinking to be done.

Last edited:
ChicksDigWagons said:
If you're at all handy with electronics, I have an interesting idea for your servo control.

Look into picaxe microcontrollers. Similar to a Basic stamp, but infinately cheaper. Doing Servo control is very very easy on these units, basicly a single chip and you could program your suspension to do anything and everything you wanted.

In theory, and I've looked into this, with a yaw/pitch sensor, and a handful of valves you could create a suspension that would maintain a perfectly level body reguardless of terrain - up until the limit of suspension travel anyhow.

The programming language is a derivative of Basic, and it very very easy to learn and use. It would probably cost similar to a simple servo test circuit, but have more power than you know what to do with.

The website for the picaxe is http://picaxe.co.uk and there is also lots of infomation (and also a US source for buying chips) at http://www.phanderson.com

I'm toying with the idea of adding a bare-bones air setup similar to your current till I can afford to add the valves and ancillary devices.

Would said system also deploy anti-rollover device upon sensing imminent rollover?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Dirk Pitt said:
Would said system also deploy anti-rollover device upon sensing imminent rollover?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

:laugh:

ChicksDigWagons said:

I looked into making my own controller, a Pic chip not a 555 timer chip control circuit... Ive built stuff like that for projects when I was in electrical engineering classes at the university, but all that home made stuff always caused problems. I know I can do it, but Im worried about some home made circuit braking on a trail.

Functionally, a joystick (pot resistor) controlling some servos is ideal, but this is very complex, many components, many opertunities for failure on the trail both mechanical and electircal.

The simple solonoid valves are mechanically simple and should not cause failure, and electrically very simple, on or off, no complicated pulse signals and controllers needed.

Reliability on a tril rig is most important. So im leaning to solonoid valves again.

reliability is paramount, I do argree with that. However, its fairly easy to build in manual override ability into anything electronic. I'm not sure what kind of problems you've had, but I've had good solid success with both the picaxe and basic stamp architecture as far as reliability and bugs.

If you use solenoid valves you still have the option of computerized control. And in the event of electronics malfunction, a series of switches would easily override any fancy electronics.

Back