• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone try indexing their spark plugs?

Tell me you're joking. Life's too short.

I ususaly just re-calibrate the flux capacitor. It's alot easier and provides much better mileage improvments.

RTicUL8 said:
I ususaly just re-calibrate the flux capacitor. It's alot easier and provides much better mileage improvments.
i wouldnt reccomend this, unless many banana peels and beer cans were added to the fuel, becuse you might distroy the blow off valve that aids in opening the doors:greensmok

You guys are wasting your time with flux capacitors

1-ensure the 7th fetzer valve is clean
2-remember its all about ball bearings

If that fails, install the overthruster circa 1984......its all yoyodyne

To answer your question...no, and don't be offended by some of the comments you see....it's all in good fun....

It's not a commonly tried mod that people do here. We spend enough time modding suspensions, axles, etc to worry about the .8 HP that indexing could possibly give us. The engines that AMC and Chrysler have given us are low end workhorses, not top end HP engines. It's just something we've come to accept.

There are a few mods that you CAN do to free up and find that extra pony or 2....I'd suggest you check out the Street and performance forum here for some great information.

Good Luck, and hope to see you on the trail some time.

John

seriously -

common HP mods include
Throttle Body Spacer
bored throttle body
cold air intake/FIPK
aftermarket headers/muffler
camshaft with larger lobes

or
if you want a non bolt on - stroker see Dr.Dino's posts/website

XJ_ranger said:
seriously -

common HP mods include
Throttle Body Spacer
bored throttle body
cold air intake/FIPK
aftermarket headers/muffler
camshaft with larger lobes
Like indexing the spark plugs, most of these modifications produce maximum gain at high RPMs. XJs are geared to run at very low RPMs (stock with an automatic turns about 2200 RPM at 65 MPH, and 5-speeds run even slower). People who move to much bigger tires are constantly fighting to get the gear ratio back to some semblance of the stock final drive ratio.

Bottom line is, mods that you read about for rally vehicles and drag racers simply aren't going to help you with a rock crawler. Unless you're setting your Jeep up for mud bogging, stop looking for horsepower mods and start looking for TORQUE mods, because torque is what pulls you over low speed obstacles.

Y'all need to remember that some of the folks here are staying stock and not off-roading. So for some of us the HP mods are interesting and useful.

Sarge

Sarge said:
Y'all need to remember that some of the folks here are staying stock and not off-roading. So for some of us the HP mods are interesting and useful.

Sarge
Sarge, I run stock. My 5-speeds cruise at under 2000 RPM at legal highway speeds. Running up through the gears, the optimum shift point is between 2200 and 3000 RPM. Mods that might provide 5 more horsepower at 5,500 RPM of of zero interest and zero use.

Did not mean to offend! I'm all about XJs from the most serious hard core rig to a mall-crawling sub-woofer pounding to the lowered, performance modded blingy whatever. I consider it research tech and the further each xtreme pushes the better info i can get when I want to do stereo / elec work, or a long arm, or whatever. Sorry if I came across as if i was making fun.

P

Eagle,

I stand corrected. That's true, a stock running legal is never going to use that mod. But not everyone stays at legal speeds at the time. Maybe someone is interested in "trying" to make a sleeper and surprise some folks on the local strip. But in all honesty, porting and polishing really never seems to get you much for the money and time invested.

Sarge

Flux?.......Capacitor?............Oh great.....something else that won't be available for pre 91 XJ's...............lol.............I kinda like the idea of a "sleeper" Jeep...............used to a have 4.6 Crown Vic as one of my cabs....of course it had the police pkg..........shocked a lot kids in 5.0 pony's.

Just getting back to the original question, how would you index the plugs? I'm a little dense on performance stuff (I mean I cut my automotive teeth on Peugeots!), but I presume that indexing the plugs means turning them to ensure that the electrodes all point in a certain direction. But what criterion would you use to determine the position, and why would any position be better than any other? I don't think the plugs in this engine are really in the path of flow between the valves, and there's supposed to be turbulence, so what's the idea behind it? And would the microscopic benefit of indexing offset the microscopic decrease of compression if it requires extra gaskets on any plugs? I'm not being a smartass. I really would like to know.

Back