• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Multiple-connection battery terminals

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried Googling this without much success, mainly because I don't know the exact name of what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for are battery terminals that allow multiple connections to be made to them. They're not for stereo use, just additional power taps - so they don't have to be audiophile-quality, just serviceable. The planned taps are 4ga (battery to main positive & negative leads), 4ga (direct feed to a Warn quick-disconnect plug used for powering an inverter), and a couple of 16-18ga feeds to radio equipment (CB, mobile ham rig).

Fuses are inline on each circuit, so I can live without fused terminals if that makes a difference.

Does anyone know of the proper terminology for these things so that I can search for them more effectively, or have a line on a supplier with a good range I can check out? Ideally I'd like to order a set this weekend, but each terminal I've been finding has been for competition stereo stuff in the $30-60 range - way too much for a small project like this.

i don't know the exact term either.....but look under stereo stuff....i mean it's all the same concept....*shrugs*

The only good ones ment for audio are the ones with fused outputs, other than that they are all pretty much the same- type em in on ebay they're everywhere, and cheap. if you dont find anything there you like, try typin' in "distribution block" and you could just run like a 0ga to the block and run everything you need off the block insted of crowdin your battery.

And if you do want fused protection, this is the one I use : http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=295&subdeptNum=124&storeNum=9&productId=42603
icon7.gif

Marine terminals?
I have my XJ set up with marine terminals with an auxillary 8 circuit ATO fuse block from Advance Auto.
Hook all the big stuff to the battery and all the little stuff to the panel. The fuse block looks like it could be oem and it is built pretty tough.
No problems and it makes it so much easier to disconnect the battery too.
All together, less than $40 for everything.
Only bad thing is cutting the ends off the factory cables and crimping/soldering the lugs on.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Let me expand a bit on what I'm trying to do here. FWIW, my factory-original battery appears to be on its last legs so the plan is to upgrade to an Optima yellow pop in the next week or so. I run enough constant-drain stuff for long enough to make it a worthwhile investment over the red top, so that's what I'm going for.

First, the obvious items: run the main leads from the battery to the 0/2ga connectors on the top terminals. Also on top on the 4ga side, plumb in a lead to a secondary fusebox (more on this shortly). For the smaller-gauge terminals, tap them for the CB and ham rig which already have separate inline fuses on their supply and will likely stay that way. Finally, to the side terminals, wire in the quick-disconnect plug used for the direct feed to the inverter.

Regarding the secondary fusebox, my plan is (while visting my parents in Ireland over the holidays) to try to track down a RHD fusebox and panel from a Graz-built runout XJ in a junkyard - this way I can essentially have a second fusebox in a 'factory' location and enclosure without much work. It'll give me more potential taps than a marine block, and should be on the opposite side to late LHD models. As a bonus, everything can be fused with standard bladed fuses. If this turns out to not be true, I'll fall back to the Marine block.

I hit a couple of car audio stores today, but they all wanted more than I'm willing to spend for the terminals - adding $70-100 worth of terminals to a $140 battery makes this way too expensive. I'm willing to go cheap on it, but would like something simple and reliable.

agin check on ebay for the terminals, im talkin like 7-10$ each for what your're lookin for- also, as im sure you know the blue top has extra connection post which whould make hook-ups a lot easier.

I found a MAN or DAM, OEM suplimental fuse box at the local Bosch dealer. Waterproof, bus bar and fuse block. Wasn´t very expensive. A truck electric shop, would be good place to check, common item.
Finding a universal type battery, with the normal lugs and the Chev connectors on there (four connection possiblilities), makes life a lot simpler. You have the normal lugs to hook up your OEM stuff to and the extra set of Chev. (Vauxal/Opel) to hook up the extra stuff.
Just a tip, easier if it´s a US spec battery with the plus to the rear and motor (OEM) side of the battery. Battery hieght can be troublesome, with the stock battery tray.

Back