• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch ladder - pics

sarvermr

NAXJA Forum User
my xj is still a DD, and between people, 2 big dogs, and gear, my roof rack gets used quite frequently. i've always wanted a rover style ladder to make accessing my roof rack a little easier. i finally made one out of:

15' of 3/4" pipe (1" od)
2' of 2"x2" angle iron
2' or 2" flat stock
1 can primer
1 can rustoleum hammered paint
total cost $35

i bent the tube with a cheap ass harbor freight bender. i used a hand drill and and 1" hole saw for the notches. it is bolted to the top of the hatch on either side of the hinge and the bottom of the hatch too. it rests on my rear bumper. the way it is designed the rear bumper takes about 90% of the weight and the hatch just holds the ladder in place. its strong enough to hold my 260 lb fat ass without even flinching.

the hatch struts are just strong enough to hold it up, but i'll be installing dual struts soon. its not the ultimate poser mod. but probably a close second to a snorkle. oh well. i like it :giveup:

overall picture:

242380_386_full.jpg

a littel closer:

242380_387_full.jpg

i tried to follow the XJ body lines:

242380_385_full.jpg

242380_384_full.jpg

side view:

242380_380_full.jpg

bottom attachemnt, you can see how the angle rests on the bumper. it is also bolted through the hatch and has backing plates inside the hatch:

242380_383_full.jpg

top mounts, it is bolted though the hatch, but i still need to add sheet metal screws to the other holes i drilled:

242380_381_full.jpg

inside, i need to make some backing plates for these bolts still:

242380_379_full.jpg

it clears nicely when open:

242380_377_full.jpg

and barley blocks any view:

242380_375_full.jpg

what do you think?

I think its f'n bad -- nice work.

How much shipped to 80126? :greensmok

good stuff

i (being the overengineering dont ever want anything to break/bend guy that i am) would worry that the bumper would take a rick and kick up, making the flange at the bottom of the ladder pinched to the bumper, which would suck, but i like the following of body lines
i like the bottom attachment, but im a little worried about the top, not clear that it is all that strong to me...

but then im an internet fabriactor anyway... i fab in cad, because im a college student and dont have room to keep my ratches anywhere but in the rig, much less a welder/tube bender/metal stock laying around...

good times!

XJ_ranger said:
good stuff

i (being the overengineering dont ever want anything to break/bend guy that i am) would worry that the bumper would take a rick and kick up, making the flange at the bottom of the ladder pinched to the bumper, which would suck,

if i hit my bumper hard enough to do that i have more problems to worry about than my ladder.

XJ_ranger said:
i like the bottom attachment, but im a little worried about the top, not clear that it is all that strong to me...

all the weight of the entire thing either sits on the bumper or sits on top of the hatch. all the bolts do is keep the ladder from moving forward or backwards. there is minimal stress on them. that being said, i still want to add the 4 sheet metal screws and make a backing plate for the top bolts. its plenty strong.

and thanks for the compliments everyone.

I like it alot. If I still kept my tire up top (or even had a rack anymore for that matter) I'd build one too. I like your bumper as well. Is that home brewed or a commercial product? To eliminate metal-on-metal contact for potential paint wear and corrosion, you could consider screwing a strip of hard rubber or plastic (HDPE, UHMW or Acetal) to the underside of the bottom angle piece.

Lawn Cher' said:
I like your bumper as well. Is that home brewed or a commercial product? To eliminate metal-on-metal contact for potential paint wear and corrosion, you could consider screwing a strip of hard rubber or plastic (HDPE, UHMW or Acetal) to the underside of the bottom angle piece.

its a 96 and older c4x4 bumper. nothing home brew.

i'm going to use some neoprene and glue it to the angle iron to eliminate rattles etc. its some industrial strength airplane stuff from a buddy that builds airplanes.

sarvermr said:
its a 96 and older c4x4 bumper. nothing home brew.

i'm going to use some neoprene and glue it to the angle iron to eliminate rattles etc. its some industrial strength airplane stuff from a buddy that builds airplanes.

I didn't think those bumpers came with a hitch... i guess i was wrong.

John

Dude this guy could make killing off this thing. Too bad I don't have a roof rack, or a need to get to the top of my jeep a lot

looks nice but isn't it a long way to that first step? I stand on my tire to the same effect but it's a good idea and you executed it well. Nice to see something new.

very F***ing cool man!!!

real nice job!

i would look into selling them somehow (before someone else does anyway)

I've been thinking about doing something similar to that, but I was stuck on the problem of the hatch. I like your idea, and I hope you don't mind if I take some of your ideas to make mine. Thanks!

Back