• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I just scored some axles

Immortal

NAXJA Forum User
a D44 and a D60........44 has flat top knuckles........both axles are 8 lug.......no clue what they are originally out of.......where should I start first? I'm so happy :D

Sound like axles from a ford 3/4ton. Is the front axle HP? Great axles for a swap. Gotta love FS axles under an XJ. Remember you gotta run 16" or bigger wheels to clear the front dual piston calipers! Have fun, good find, Judd :D

MUDTRUK said:
Sound like axles from a ford 3/4ton. Is the front axle HP? Great axles for a swap. Gotta love FS axles under an XJ. Remember you gotta run 16" or bigger wheels to clear the front dual piston calipers! Have fun, good find, Judd :D
not true.

you can use 15s, you just need small backspacing, I think it's 3.5" or less that works.

BrettM said:
not true.

you can use 15s, you just need small backspacing, I think it's 3.5" or less that works.

Or use a grinder on the calipers to make room. Did that with a D60 before to run 15" rims. Works fine.

i dont think flattops came on ford 44's and unless you got some spoke wheels, i wouldnt go around calling em rims ;)

correction, they do

Last edited:
xtremewlr said:
Or use a grinder on the calipers to make room. Did that with a D60 before to run 15" rims. Works fine.

3.5 would need grinding 2.5 wont for 15in rims. 2.5in BS on a 67-69in WMS axle is too wide for me... Its is also a fliped rim (if steel) so if you bead lock it its more difficult to mount the tire.

Im running 42s, and have a track width of 83in, with about 4in BS 8in wide rims. 2.5in BS is too wide for alot of stuff. IMO.

Good luck with the new parts.

some (many, all?) Fords do come with flat-top knuckles, they're different than the Chevy/Waggy flat-tops, but they can be milled/drilled/tapped for hi-steer arms.

Ashman, yes the only way to go as narrow is with larger wheels, but I'm not sure what he wants for width, so just throwing that option out there. Billy (JeepFreak21) has the same axle with 15s and says the gap is about 1mm, I think his wheels are 3.5, maybe 3, but I know they're not in the 2s.

don't forget they weigh quite a bit more than the stock axles. they'll probably add about 2-300lbs of unsprung weight, depending if you leave them FS or cut to fit.

MUDTRUK said:

could be from an old J truck too... seen a J-3000 with the 8 lug 44 front with flattops paired with a 60 rear, too bad i didn't have enough money for it at the time... :puke:

I dunno what you are talking about 93Jeepin :D

As far as choices in rims I will likely go with a 16" rims perhaps bigger......I will cross that bridge when I come to it :D All I know is I can wait to get some sparks flyin and metal a meltin :D I am already prepared to dump $1500 into bringing these axles up to speed for wheeling......i.e. lockers, ring and pinion, maybe shafts, rims, 40" tires :D, etc................ :D

I am just debating coil overs or keeping springs with shocks.......not sure about 3 linking it......I love that horse shoe on Beezil's rig........just not sure.......again I will cross that bridge soon enough :D :D :D :D

Immortal said:
I dunno what you are talking about 93Jeepin :D

As far as choices in rims I will likely go with a 16" rims perhaps bigger......I will cross that bridge when I come to it :D All I know is I can wait to get some sparks flyin and metal a meltin :D I am already prepared to dump $1500 into bringing these axles up to speed for wheeling......i.e. lockers, ring and pinion, maybe shafts, rims, 40" tires :D, etc................ :D

I am just debating coil overs or keeping springs with shocks.......not sure about 3 linking it......I love that horse shoe on Beezil's rig........just not sure.......again I will cross that bridge soon enough :D :D :D :D

Im $750+ into my axles without gears or any sort of locker yet

Back