• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

detroit locker question

turbobaja1835

NAXJA Member #1299
I just put a detroit locker in a ford 8.8 in my 92 cherokee with 7 inches of lift. The part that is bothering me is there is about a 1/4 turn in the driveshaft freely before engaging. I have talked to a bunch of buddies and just from personal experience i have never seen that much slop in a detroit locker. I called detroit and they said this was completely acceptable. It doesn't seem acceptable when every time I shift I can feel the 1/4 turn of slack taken up in the driveshaft and then when I let the clutch out it takes this slack back up before engaging. Any opinions? THanks< Joe

I'm building a 8.8 for my XJ and have been researching it for a while and thats what everyones saying about a detroit in an 8.8, it's normal. I think I'm going to use another type locker in mine.

Mines like that too. Kinda freaky when you put it in park and it rolls a few inches when you let off the brake! I dont feel mine when driving but I dont have a manual either.

hackedxj said:
I'm building a 8.8 for my XJ and have been researching it for a while and thats what everyones saying about a detroit in an 8.8, it's normal. I think I'm going to use another type locker in mine.
If you really want some play in the axle put in a Lock-right or any of the lunch box style.
A limited slip clutch type orTrue-trac gear style may have less play.
Wayne

It would be more or less the same thing. You just have to look at how much backlash each one has built-in. Less backlash would mean the shaft spins less before engaging the gears. The Powertrax No-Slip is supposed to have some synchronizing thing to address that, you might want to check into one of those or into the TrueTrac LS.

It's not unusual - My D44 Detroit does the same thing - also will sometimes clang and bang, click and clack, and force a little rear steer. Even made a sound the other day that sounded like a u-joint breaking.

Par for the course. It's reminding you that it works and that you're not spending enough time on the trail. :D

Back