• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Downward Spiral

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
I dont know how this happened, I had a plan, I was sticking to it... and then..
Ok, I wanted a cheap trail rig, that was street legal (for the most part) that I could tow behind my DD Truck. I bought an $800, 89 Cherokee, three months later, it sits, uninspected (failed last week, just little things), and its just about to climb over the $2000 mark (including purchase). I was planning on a total $3000 budget for a stout trail rig, but I havent bought tires, gears, lockers, and the such..... How did this happen? I always swore I would be that guy with the $10K "toy", because "I could Build it Smarter, and Cheaper!"
Well, guess that is slowly going out the window, followed closely by all my cash. I think this obsession is cruel, I tell ya!!!!

Thats all, just wanted to vent...
:soapbox:

Figured out a long time ago, part of the price of a new car is (hopefully) piece of mind and fewer repair bills. After about 8 years, they all become money pits.
I figured about $1000 in hidden costs to get my 88 fairly reliable, in the two years I´ve owned it, I could probably double that. Still close to stock.
On the plus side, most of the work can be marked up to experience and improving the old learning curve. Knowledge learned in practical experience, sticks. Can think of a whole lot of things to spend some fun money on, that are a lot less productive, than fixing a Jeep. Keeps me out of the cat houses and bars. :nono:

Cherokee91Red said:
You've only spent $2000 dollars?:shocked: Lucky, I'm up over $6000, and I'm only 19, talk about no money, and no, Mom and Dad don't pay for anything.

well, do you want to figure in the $25,000 tow rig, or the new house? Oh, and the new wife, all which translates to a much larger deal. I wish I could be 19 again, I drove nice stuff then and didnt have a mortgage, those were the days....you could go a week being flat broke...

Wait a minute. No one made you buy a 25,000 vehicle to tow with. No one made you buy a NEW house. No one made you get married. You could've bought a nice XJ for 8,000 and used it as a daily driver/trail rig. Or maybe you shouldn't worry about having a jeep hobby right at the moment.

Back