• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Crawl Info and Registration

Kudzu

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA
Cherokee Crawl
July 10-12 2003

Come one come all to the 5th Annual Cherokee Crawl in the Upper Tellico ORV area. Where A bunch of guys, gals, kids, dogs, and XJs, get together to run the trails, hangout, visit local attractions and generally have fun.
We invited all NAXJA members- a great reason to join- their family members and guests. So y’all come. Did we mention joining would be a good idea.
The trail in Tellico vary from bedtime prayers to snake-handling revivals. There are trails for stock XJs (although they ain’t tame you will need protection), and others that will test the mettle of the 36”, dual lockers and winch crowd. This ain’t nice dry rock. Oh sure, there are lots of rocks, but they are often surrounded by good gooey TN/NC mud. At least the stream crossing will give you a chance to clean it out of your tires and brakes.

Event Schedule

Wed. 5pm -? Registration, safety check and Trail Assignments
At Crawford’s Campground.

Thurs. 7am-9am Registration, safety check, and trail assignments
9am Rides begin leaving

Fri. 9am Rides begin leaving
6:30 p.m. Potluck meal and games at Crawfords Camp under the Pavillion
Sat 9am rides begin leaving
6:30 p.m. Group meal and raffle At Crawfords Camp under the pavillion. Awards will also be given out

Event T-shirts
Youth sizes $16.00
S-XL $16.00
2XL –3XL $18.00
Extra decals $5.00

Event Fee
$15 per person includes Sat. night meal ticket, decal and 2 event
raffle tickets

this link will take you to the Reg form
www.naxja.org/events/ccrawl03/Crawl Reg.pdf

All NAXJA events require the following:
 Front and rear tow points
 Safety belts for driver and all passengers
 Full size spare tire, jack and lug wrench
 Tow strap (no metal hooks)
 Fire extinguisher
 First aid kit
 CB (HIGHLY recommended)
&#61623: battery secured

Trails are rated for vehicles with stock, mild, and wild modifications. Realistically, you also ought to at least have tires with moderately aggressive ”all terrain” tread and rocker protection, even for stock trails

Mild:
 Transfer and gas skids
 Rocker protection
 Aggressive tires
 Appropriate lift
 Suitable trails 1,3 and 4
 Mild AIN’T TAME! You may get some scratches on 3 and 4

Moderate:
 Mild stuff, plus
 Rear locker
 Light body damage possible
 Suitable trails 4,5,6 and 8

Wild:
 Moderate stuff, plus
 Front locker
 Winch
 Damage likely/ rollover possible
 Suitable trails 2,9,11 and 12

NAXJA HQ and registration will be at Crawfords Campground. All non-trail events like the raffle and fine fellowship you’ve come to expect with the NAXJA members in attendance will be held at Crawfords Campground.

Crawford’s Campground
P.O. Box 298
Murphy, NC 28906
828-837-9072
[email protected]

Rates (per 2 people per site)
$18.50 for sites with water, electric, Table, trashcan, and firing.
$6.50 Primitive sites
$6.00 per additional person
Full hookup sites available please call for price

Directions
From traffic light in middle of Murphy, go west on Tennessee St.-
Along Joe brown hwy. To flashing caution light, - turn right, go approx. 5.5 miles to intersection of Davis creek road and Beaverdam road. (Davis Creek road is way to Tellico) take left road, which is Beaverdam road. Approx. 3.8 miles to large JEEP sign on right. Turn right cause u r here.

Motels

 Green Cove (TN side) 423-253-2069
 Mountain Vista Inn 828- 837-8880 Fax: 828-837-3034
 Comfort Inn 800-228-5150 or 828-837-8030
 Murphy Best Western 800-528-1234 or 828-837-3060
 Mtn Vista Inn 828-837-8880
 Cherokee Hills Lodge 800-3343905
 Sunset Motel 828-837-5111
 West Motel 828-837-2012
 Holiday Inn Express 828 837-1111
 Morris Motel 828 644-5143

Cottages/ Cabins
 Bear Paw Resort 828-644-5743(d)/828-644-5767(e)
 Pine Creek Cabins 828-837-4228/4486
 River Cove Cabins 828-644-5979
 Trout Cove Cabins 828-389-3584

Last edited:
now i'm cornfused>>:eek:
_______________________________-
copied this from a post by forum fixer
that has a link on the main page..

{ http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2623 }

Cherokee Crawl 2002

July, 11 - 13, 2002 Cherokee Crawl

Follow the picture in to read all about it.

what are the days of the event??

10-12 (as says the registration form)
or
11-13 ?

July 10-12 are this years dates the link from the home page is to llast years event..

Kudzu said:
July 10-12 are this years dates the link from the home page is to llast years event..

dooh! sorry i forgot what year this is...

:rolleyes:

In order to attend the Cherokee Crawl at Tellaco in July do I need to be a member of NAXJA?

Thanks,
AARON

Hey Heather,
Are you sure that is the right number for Crawford's? I called it and got a recording that sounded like a residence.
Is there a certain area or anything where I should get my sights to be close to the group?
Thanks,
Crunch

How much do I pay to naxja to participate? I am a member of naxja.Unless it ran out,but I don't remember getting a renewal form.

Sorry that needs to be ammended. the BOD voted last week to remove that requirment from the by-laws so it no longer applies...

Thank goodness. Depending on the state or legal interpretation, a lot of ours XJs would not be street legal. And insurance? Impossible if you aren't street legal.

Insurance in the three states I have tagged vehicles in ALWAYS came before the tag. The insurance company didn't care if ya ever get a registration/tag. ( I insured and registered several dirtbikes that were in no-way 'street legal'...skipped the 'inspection' part but all the cops in MA cared to see was a insurance card and a legal tag...)

Tellico trails are maybe 10 miles of twisty-curvy NC state road to & from the basecamp. The USFS cops may not care, but the NC Highway Patrol knows and monitors this...especially after dark.

It's easy to drive a uninsured/unregistered vehicle on the trail...it's rough on the driver's wallet if their uninsured vehicle is involved in an accident involving property damage or personal injury either on or off the trail. And the NCHP will arrest ya and tow your junk if you are Unins/Unreg on public roads.

Liability insurance policies are cheap compared to the potential liability of the otherwise.

NAXJA expects any participant to be legal for the run...and liable for their own actions.

After many long discussions with insurance underwriters, I have been assured that a vehicle with any home fabricated suspension or steering parts are not insurable. Yes, an agent might issue a policy but it is worthless in the event it is challenged. Many XJ owners have vehicles modified to the extent that they are no longer legal or safe to be road driven. That is why we trailer them. If we are not welcome at NAXJA events, so be it.

TN William said:
After many long discussions with insurance underwriters, I have been assured that a vehicle with any home fabricated suspension or steering parts are not insurable. Yes, an agent might issue a policy but it is worthless in the event it is challenged. Many XJ owners have vehicles modified to the extent that they are no longer legal or safe to be road driven. That is why we trailer them. If we are not welcome at NAXJA events, so be it.

Tell that to AAA that paid me $5000 for the damage that happened on the trail to my custom lifted XJ. They paid me more cuz it was lifted. I told them that the damage was done while wheelin too.

No one said you're not welcome at NAXJA events, if you're not road legal, trailer to the trail head and wheel from there, no big deal. I trailer cuz I don't want to be stuck with a broken rig and no way home, plus my XJ doens't drive as well as my tow rig and the 5.42 gears in the XJ don't make for very fast highway driving.

Please don't get an attitude about this, just think it all through.

Last edited:
Okay before anyone goes to far this is the way it is.

NAXJA expects each event participant to carry insurance and registration sufficient to meet the legal requirements of their vehicle state of residence and for the roads and trails traveled for the event. NAXJA is not responsible for assuring an entrants vehicle is legal for the roads and trails traveled in the event.

This statement will be on event wavier and it is the participants responsibliity. We will not check to see if you have it and NAXJA is not responsible if you don't and something happens.

THE END

CU you all there

Kudzu and Kevin

Well, Grant and I seem to be getting our act together. Right now the plan is to be at Crawfords on Wednesday. Be there until Sunday.

I will send in the registration as soon as I get home(have been away for over a week)

I was wondering if for any reason you were going to be down at Rusty's between now and when you were heading out? I need to get a set of replacement bushing for his 6" adjustable control arms. The axel end that has the two pieces per side. If you could pick them up that would make life easier.

Let me know and I will call him and make sure he has the parts.

Also, l et me know what you need help with.....dinner etc. Grant and I both can do whatever you need now or before hand.

I will probably be going on a business trip on the Monday after the event so I won't be able to stay after if you need help then, but anything before hand just let me know.

Keith I am leaving next Fri..so Just keep you reg form till you get there Wed...Yes i will see Rusty before i leave...

Just let me know
[email protected]

Sorry Dan I will see if I can get one but I placed the order on the 20th...

Back