• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What transfer case???

TDeaton13

NAXJA Forum User
OK I'm new so bare with me. I have a stock '97 XJ Sport, my question is what front end do I have and what transfer case?? I have a dana 35 in the back if that helps.

Thanks!

Thanks guys! Yeah i have 2 wheel drive, 4 part time, 4 full time, neutral, and 4 low. So does that mean its a NP242? And is that better then the NP231?

TDeaton13 said:
So does that mean its a NP242? And is that better then the NP231?

yes, it is a 242.
no, it doesn't mean its better. it just means yours has the 4full idiot mode, is a weaker case, and has fewere sye options.

sarvermr said:
yes, it is a 242.
no, it doesn't mean its better. it just means yours has the 4full idiot mode, is a weaker case, and has fewere sye options.

I wouldn't call full time 4wd "idiot mode." It has a perfectly good application for inclement weather on pavement where the 231's locked front/rear torque distribution would prove twitchy compared to the open center differential of the 242. And for those not necessarily building ultra-modded rigs, it is a perfectly reliable drivetrain component.

Is it possible to just get a 1" t-case drop and a long travel yoke in the 242 instead of the more expensive SYE and new drive shaft to correct vibes and such??

Thanks!

Depends on how much lift you are trying to correct for.

Lawn Cher' said:
I wouldn't call full time 4wd "idiot mode." It has a perfectly good application for inclement weather on pavement where the 231's locked front/rear torque distribution would prove twitchy compared to the open center differential of the 242. And for those not necessarily building ultra-modded rigs, it is a perfectly reliable drivetrain component.

yeah, i know it isn't really idiot mode. its a good case, but it really is weaker than the 231 and has very few sye options.

TDeaton13 said:
Is it possible to just get a 1" t-case drop and a long travel yoke in the 242 instead of the more expensive SYE and new drive shaft to correct vibes and such??

Thanks!

maybe, maybe not. didn't you just spend all that $$$ to lift your jeep? why would you want to lower the transfer case now? just do it right and get the sye. i fully understand the money (or lack of) thing. you can do a sye cheap. buy the h-n-t flange, front CV shaft, and adaptor you you will be out the door for ~$150. thats not much more than a drop and long travel yoke. if you're really cheap, buy Six States Distributors part # 3103-27 for $80 and cut it and the shaft down, tap the shaft, and then bolt it up and use a CV front shaft. you'd be out the door for just a little over $100.

Dan1990XJ said:
Most likely a Dana 30 front end, and what selections do you have for your transfer case? if you have 2h-4h-N-4L its an NP231. otherwise its an NP242.

I don't think that the 242 was offered on the newer versions but I might be wrong.

sarvermr said:
yeah, i know it isn't really idiot mode. its a good case, but it really is weaker than the 231 and has very few sye options.
Dan starc runs a 242 with dana60 f/r 37" tires a 4.6L stroker and the whole cherokee weighing around 6000lbs. Sounds plenty strong to me.... The 231 really isnt bullet proof either.

Neither case are "bulletproof" but the degree of strength depends on how you use it as well,Lots of people use them pretty hard and never have problems. If your 98 is lifted and has vibes, the cheaper option is to lower the tcase/Tranny crossmember an inch, and you lose an inch of clearance you just had, the more expensive, and better option is an sye kit, there are some available for a 242, If you search this site a bit you may find more info on that.

The 242 is NOT weaker than a 231.

The 242 is rated at a higher torque load than the 231.

I don't have the info here, but the is a link to the ratings someplace at DC or NV not sure which.

hinkley

BTW usually only east coasters like the 242s for winter driving on the snowy streets.

Joe said:
I don't think that the 242 was offered on the newer versions but I might be wrong.

You are wrong... my '01 was ordered with one, and I like the full time option for inclement weather.

Where is a good place to buy a front CV shaft? I know that the RE Hack & Tap kit is alright, just don't know where to go to get the rest of the stuff I need.

-Thanks

Mark Hinkley said:
The 242 is NOT weaker than a 231.

The 242 is rated at a higher torque load than the 231.

I don't have the info here, but the is a link to the ratings someplace at DC or NV not sure which.

hinkley

i have to call BS on that one.

is this the info you were talking about?

http://www.newventuregear.com/tcases.html

np231 - 1885 ft lbs
np242 - 1486 ft lbs

that makes the 231 about 25% stronger.

My bad, it was the 242HD version we were looking at when MJR was messing with his conversion. Because at the time I was surprised at the numbers.

Thanks for finding the web site, I'll bookmark it this time! :D

hinkley

Back