• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few questions about '01 XJ...cleaning engine and sensors.

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
First, I've seen many people reference the TPS sensor and IAC solenoid, but when I do a search on partsamerica.com, they don't list these sensors for an '01. Are they on there, or do the '01s use something else? What other sensors does an '01 have, besides the O2 sensor?

Also, what's the best and safest way to clean the engine compartment? I usually take my cars by the pressure washer, spray everything down with Gunk Engine Brite, and rinse with the pressure wash. Is there something that works better, and is safer for the engine and electronics?

'01 has:
TPS: Throttle position. On throttle body.
IAC: Idle Actuator motor. On throttle body.
MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure. On throttle body.
IAT: Intake Ait Temperature. On intake manifold.
CTS: Coolant temperature. On Thermostat housing
Oil Pressure sensor. Near the oil filter.
CMP: Camshaft position sensor: Where the distributor used to be
CKP: Crankshaft position sensor. On Bellhousing, at 10 o'clock.
VSS: Vehicle speed sensor: on exiting the transfer case.
2 O2 sensors: one before cat, one after cat

I'm not sure about the O2 sensors, but the rest are the same from '98 on. Same part #'s.
Possibly '97?

The only engine electrical change since '98 happened in '00 when the Distributorless Ignition System was introduced. Now we have the CMP and the coil rail instead of the former distributor and coil. The ignition signals are all handled by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module: The computer).

Hope I didn't miss anything.

Last edited:
I have an 01 XJ and it has two precats with a O2 sensor before and after each one for a total of four O2 sensors.

HTH Stan

Where I am, emissions are not controlled and my '01 is Venezuelan built. So, it may be different from US built XJs in this respect.
Gas stations aren't well controlled and the quality sometimes leaves a lot to be desired (water, lead, etc.), so the O2 sensors have to be changed more often. Lucky I don't have four.
If I could find a way, I'd cheat the PCM into not using O2 sensor inputs and it wouldn't be illegal.

Back