• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

after market trans cooler

I dunno, why not? I did this with both my daily driver and trail XJs (both 4.0/AW4):

The trail rig fluid runs from the trans, through the oem AC condensor, to a remote filter & back...

The DD has the same fluid routing, but uses a Summit 24000# GVW aux cooler into a similar filter... I did this in July when I replaced the radiator, so I only have a few thousand miles of experience, most of it in hot to warm weather.

The argument I've heard against it is that it won't allow the fluid to heat up properly. (ex. in the DD after 30 miles of driving on a 95* day, I can comfortably hold onto the filter...dunno how it'll be this winter)

OTOH with the fluid running through the radiator-cooler, it's gonna seek equilibrium at 210* or wherever the coolant stays...I'm not clear where the trans fluid runs, but it might end up hotter returning than when it left :dunno:

I have a similar setup for the kid's XJ but not installed yet: I got her a slightly smaller (20k GVW) cooler... I think for this one I'm gonna run the fluid through the radiator and then into the cooler, filter, and back.

I've never heard of automatic tranny damage from being run too cool, who hasn't heard of one getting smoked from being overheated.

woody-

ive been running an aux tranny cooler for a few years now and have thought about installing an in-line, remote tranny fluid filter somewhere...

what kind of remote filter and housing are you using?
and where did u locate/mount it for easy access??

how often do u change the filter, and how much difference do u notice in the cleanliness of the oil?

thanks!!

CaptTrev

I want to jump on board with this subject too. I have a 99XJ and put in an atlas, I know the atlas runs hot but it just makes me think how hot does the trans get ?? :variety:

I used the Summit remote filter kits # SUM-G4980 @ $29.99 and I installed them on the LF inner fenderwell (I run air-tubes and K&N filters on all my junk ...no more leaky, plastic airboxes) I did have to remount the ballast resistor a couple inches rearward for it to fit happily.

I haven't changed the filter yet... only been 4000 miles since I installed it. I figure next engine oil change I'll also drain the ATF and put a fresh filter in there, then get on schedule for another filter at 6000 and ATF/filter at 12000 :dunno:

One thing I noticed on my DD is that with the radiator, AC condensor and the -1.5" thick- 24k cooler, I had to cut the center support out of the header panel,and still the grille sticks out 1/4" or so. There would probably be no issues with a non-AC Jeep, or one with AC but use a 3/4" thick cooler

Back