• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic / Semi-Automatic ??

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
Pulled over from another thread hijack in Tech:
Rebeldawg said:
I guess I'm confused "The Colt AR15 is a lightweight, magazine-fed, air-cooled, semi-automatic rifle, designed to be fired from the shoulder and chambered for the 5.56mm cartridge. This weapon fires one shot per pull of the trigger."
Good description of the AR-15. What part confuses you?

Semi-automatic means that the weapon will chamber the next round but requires the operator to release the trigger and re-press it to fire the round in chamber. This can result in a very high rate of fire, but the key is that for every shot you have to let go of the trigger and re-squeeze it.

Automatic means that the weapon will chamber the next round and fire it so long as the trigger is depressed. Service rifles including the M-16A2 can fire a three-round burst which is considered 'automatic' by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Automatic weapons have been restricted since the National Firearms Act of 1934...six decades before the media circus that became the 1994 "Assault Weapons Ban" - only licensed persons may own, possess or transfer automatic weapons.

Hope that answers a few questions for you; feel free to ask if there are other questions. I'd rather educate someone who is willing to ask a few questions than try to explain to someone unwilling to listen.

Back